1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I want ducks again...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welshies, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I want ducks again, as I had them last year (I have chickens and a rabbit now, as well as recently lost some quail to a fox.) I had planned just to get quail again, but I think I want to try ducks again. However their poop is so runny and that was such a turn-off for me, especially as I don't have running water by my coops. :confused:
    My biggest concern is the runny poop and water playing. How can I deal with this? Perhaps I can keep them outside constantly? I am not too sure what to do as my coops are wood, although my new one is painted (for the chickens.)
    I want either Cayugas or Muscovies, but I am thinking Muscovies. My only concern is if they taste ducklike, or not, and if they can brood and raise chicken babies. Are they going to seek a perch?
    If I were to keep ducks again how can I cope with the mess and perhaps I could get one hen, as a broody and a pet, to keep with my chickens? Do they have to have water 24/7 to clean their beaks or can I remove it from their coop completely except during the day?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Ducks are messy, I haven't found any good ways of dealing with it. I use buckets for water and dump them out twice a day. I put their pool further out away from the shed so that mess is away from the shed. Muscovy require a shed to roost in, mine have never roosted outside. I personally wouldn't use them to hatch chickens, chickens are better at that. They do taste duck like, well because they are ducks.

3. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I do want to try a muscovy or two, I am just not sure.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

As you know...Ducks poop lots and are water lovers....I think you might be disappointed again?....

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by