I want eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Suess hens, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Okay, I have been through a lot with these chickens, lost a few, saved many, a lot of fun chasing, a few pecks and scratches, and a desire to kill the neighbor's cat who apparently never goes home.
    I now have 2-18 week old EEs, 1-14 week old BR, and then the rest just get younger. I live in Southern Cal. Still nice and warm, girls get lots of sun, have huge area to run, and often get to free range (depends on what time I get home, I leave as the sun comes up). When will I have my first egg. I am starting to get anxious....yes anxious, excited and nervous about my first reaction, and what their reaction will be--hoping for no cannibal chickens. I have been good until about 3 days ago. I haven't been really picky, haven't been pestering them, I look in the boxes, but never expect anything. But now, I almost dread going because I think: "There won't be anything, I shouldn't even look, I will be so sad."
    DH threatened them, but he rarely goes out there so I am sure they didn't take him seriously.
    How much longer?

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    My EEs didn't start laying until 22-24 weeks.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My bantam cochin is ~24 weeks and my standards are about 20. I think that the RIR is getting very close but the others are giving no signs.

It's murphy's law of the 1st laying hen: the one you're least attached to because of skittishness will be the first to lay and pay her rent.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Oh, and murphy's law of predators is that your fav hen gets eaten.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You're getting close. Watch for a different range of sounds, for changes in face/combs...and more pecking order behavior. Then you get eggs! [​IMG]

6. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Quote:I already have change in face and comb, and so many more sounds coming out of my run and coop, but still no eggs.

7. palomino777902

palomino777902 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Elizabethtown, PA
    Maybe you can encourage the chicken thought process by putting fake eggs in the boxes?
    I have 2 Ameracaunas, 2 silver pencils, 4 RIR, 3 partridge rocks. (bantys) They are all 12 weeks old.

Now you have me excited!!! I got a ways to go. You said yours are 18 weeks. Argh!

8. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I have golf balls in the nesting boxes. I even have EE colored golf balls in the boxes....thinking maybe that would help them more than just a stinkin' white one. Alas, there is still nothing. I am going to go and see if I can con them with a treat.

9. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    My RIR's started laying at 19 1/2 weeks, right after I started chanting various ways to cook chicken everytime I checked on them! [​IMG]

They will lay.....eventually.

10. mirime

mirime Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by