1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I want everything to be perfect for my kiddos (candeling)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Robert Boyd, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Robert Boyd

Robert Boyd Chillin' With My Peeps

The eggs went in on sunday the 3rd at 11 am. when would yall suggest we do the first candling:^}

thanks for everyone in here, I couldnt have even built our bator without you :^}

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    First candling would be on Friday or Saturday...

3. Robert Boyd

Quote:thats perfect, we can do it saturday as soon as they get done eating breakfast,

Is there a problem letting them handle them, or should I do it?

Im as new as they are to this:^}

4. sparkly_diamond

sparkly_diamond Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Norfolk, UK
    The first candeling should be on day 7, then again at 14.

On day 7 your looking for a dot or dark spot with a spider of veins. (You'll not always see this but you can tell if it's only a yolk)

Then on day 14 your looking for the air sac as the rest of the egg will be (hopefully) taken up by baby chook

Hope thats useful [​IMG]

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    On white eggs you can candle within the first week. On brown eggs, I wouldn't bother until day 10 or day 14 to be sure what you are looking at. The clear eggs, blood rings and live chick growing are much more obvious by day 10 with darker shelled eggs. I never candle before day 7, as it's too easy to make a mistake. If you choose to, just mark eggs that are questionable and check them more closely next time you candle. Good luck with your hatch.

6. Robert Boyd

Quote:everything yall can tell me is helpful, I constantly lurk, to learn what to do.

you guys dont know how much I appreciate your help:^}

thankyou

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:thats perfect, we can do it saturday as soon as they get done eating breakfast,

Nah. They could do it. Just don't drop them. Lol. Thats saddening
    ETA: and yes, this is usually for light shelled eggs

8. sparkly_diamond

sparkly_diamond Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Norfolk, UK
    Quote:thats perfect, we can do it saturday as soon as they get done eating breakfast

My kids like to help me, as long as they sanitise their hand and the eggs are handled carefully with TLC I can't see a problem with it.

The eggs mustn't be shaken or tipped around as you can tear the lining and they need to go back reasonably quickly to keep the temp' and humidity.

Good luck with the hatch [​IMG]

9. Robert Boyd

Quote:thank you, 6 of the eggs are brown(Australop) and 4 are light green from a cornish hen and australop roo.
    forgive my spelling:^}

10. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

How "eggciting"..my kids help me..a 10 yr old and a 6 yr old..with care and slow movements they do well..but yes I am a nervous wreck..don't want a dropped egg with baby inside..eeek.
    My eggs are also from an Australorp and they candled well at 7 days..as they are fairly light brown..my (seemingly spotted, not correct brown color purchased from a hatchery) Cucko Marans was harder to see so I am still waiting for it to go a little longer.

Good Luck..take pics of the kids seeing life forming..truly a cool experience..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by