Are my eggs still alive??

Lis55

Hatching
Jul 23, 2023
Okay so I had 8 fertilized chicken eggs that the mum has been sitting on for a while now and they were supposed to hatch on Friday and 2 hatched on Thursday and one did on Friday but when the 3rd one hatched the mum stopped sitting on the rest of her eggs but I left them be in case anymore hatch but now it's Sunday and she's completely abandoned the rest of her eggs so I want to try incubate them (I don't have an incubator) but l'm wondering if there's a chance that they're even still alive..?

Edit: I candled them with my flashlight and 2 look half full, 2 look completely full and 1 is very very small I'm assuming it never fully developed.

Okay so I had 8 fertilized chicken eggs that the mum has been sitting on for a while now and they were supposed to hatch on Friday and 2 hatched on Thursday and one did on Friday but when the 3rd one hatched the mum stopped sitting on the rest of her eggs but I left them be in case anymore hatch but now it's Sunday and she's completely abandoned the rest of her eggs so I want to try incubate them (I don't have an incubator) but l'm wondering if there's a chance that they're even still alive..?

Edit: I candled them with my flashlight and 2 look half full, 2 look completely full and 1 is very very small I'm assuming it never fully developed.

If they were all in the nest when she started setting, the 2 completely full ones might be alive, but the others probably died some time ago (that is why the eggs are half full or have only something very small.) Healthy eggs should all develop at about the same rate, and hatch about the same time (within a few days of each other) if the hen starts sitting on them at the same time.

If some eggs were added to the nest later, after the hen was already sitting, then the other eggs might just need more time, so you could try getting an incubator and see. Depending on the temperature where you live, they might still be alive with the hen off the nest, or they might not be.

Back
Top Bottom