I want more chickens but what to do with all those eggs?!

Knock Kneed Hen

California Dream'in Chickens
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
So. Cal.
I am starting out with 13 (gosh, I really want more than that) hens and a rooster...but I'm concerned I won't be able to sell all the eggs. I'm not really in it for the money but it would be nice to at least help them pay for their feed. I saw on another thread where people are selling lots of eggs and I'm wondering how easy (or difficult) it will be to find buyers?? I have a few friends that say they're interested but I don't know if they intend to buy weekly or not. Also, can you freeze eggs...I don't mean in the shell
gig.gif
, but if you were to scramble some eggs and put them in a ziploc bag could you thaw them out and cook them up
hu.gif
? I'd like to be able to do that for when things slow down in the winter.

Unrelated, but I just broke ground on my coop
celebrate.gif
! The forms are set-up and the slab will be poured in a couple of days. Picking up some chicks
jumpy.gif
tomorrow and the rest next Sat. Still can change my mind and get more!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
wink.png

We have plenty of chickens (getting WAY more really soon) and they're finally starting to lay enough eggs that we need to sell. I wasn't sure at first how we'd do out here, but I started to put up signs and got my first costumer today. I'm hoping I'll get daily customers by the time tourist season begins.
big_smile.png

If that doesn't go well for you, you can always use the eggs to feed to your dogs, or you can give out dozens to neighbors or friends or co-workers (we do that before we sell to get more interest and word out) Also, eggs store for a pretty decent time. So don't worry if you've got some in there for a couple weeks.
smile.png
And remember - There's more to the egg than scrambling.
wink.png

I have read that you can freeze eggs. You do have to mix them up and add sugar or salt to them. I read it in a book from the library. I'm sure some one else would know. But really when would you use them if you have fresh eggs coming in all the time?

Anyone out there use frozen eggs. I'd love to hear about it.

Quote:
Chickens don't lay so well during molt or in the shorter days of winter.

When I start getting an overabundance I pickle some (hubby LOVES these!) or hardboil a dozen or two and chop em up for the girls who laid them. The extra calcium from leaving the shells on is good for them and it's not much work either.

A few months ago, I had almost no eggs, and people calling and stopping by all the time, looking for eggs. Now, I have the egg sign back out again, and have over 30 dozen in the fridge, after selling 10 doz. yesterday. But hardly any customers.
idunno.gif

I'll be selling at the Farmer's market this year, so I can sell my extras then, but that doesn't start until the end of April. Right about the time half my hens will be going broody and be off egg duty, out on maternity leave.
he.gif

So I feel ya.

Here's what I've sometimes done:
Give out a few dozens here and there as samples.
Donate a bunch to the local battered women's shelter. (Or a rescue mission, someplace where people in need can eat them. Too bad there's no way I could send them to Haiti.)
Hard boil them and feed back to the chickens/ feed some to my dogs and cats.
Last year, I was raising pigs, and they adore hard boiled eggs.

Meanwhile, my current plan is to hard boil some for egg salad and to feed back to hens.
Mix up filling for quiche, and freeze it in cottage cheese containers, so when I want a quiche, I can thaw a container, dump it in a pie crust and bake it. I guess I'll make some pie crusts up and freeze those, too.
scramble and freeze some in breakfast sized portions to thaw and use for omelets, scrambled eggs, or French toast.
If I still have too many, I'll call the shelter again.

Back
Top Bottom