I want my Mallards to fly south this fall, will they?

One thing a hatchery will do since the law is against keeping wildlife is very strict in most places, will remove a back toe from newly hatched ducklings to identify they are domesticated.
I didn't know this I went out and checked and the back toenail on my mallards left foot is missing I never noticed that before. We clipped her wing though so she can't fly away. Do any other ducks besides the mallard breed get a toe nail removed?

I didn't know this I went out and checked and the back toenail on my mallards left foot is missing I never noticed that before. We clipped her wing though so she can't fly away. Do any other ducks besides the mallard breed get a toe nail removed?
Mandarin Ducks is another one I know of.

Fourth toe, the one behind the main three. It doesn't interfere with walking, or foraging.
I have to ask the looming question then, why is it there? I would think it serves some purpose, or it wouldn't be there. Also, what about second, third or fourth generation Mallards, born from them? Does an owner have to cut off a toe of every Mallard chick ?

I raised mallards one year, a few years ago. They were not tame at all which was fine with me. When autumn came they did what nature told them to do and started flying in large circles around my property. After a few weeks of practice runs, they flew off and didn’t return. After that I would always wonder if the hens ever returned to nest here. I get wild ducks here every spring because of my large farm pond. I’ll never know I guess!
Thank you.

I have to ask the looming question then, why is it there? I would think it serves some purpose, or it wouldn't be there. Also, what about second, third or fourth generation Mallards, born from them? Does an owner have to cut off a toe of every Mallard chick ?
I think you would be fine I dont think you would have to remove a toe of it's born domestic ( and im sure it would be like you missing a finger, you would learn to live with out, + if they're domesticated even if free ranged the wouldn't have to dig/scratch for all of their food im sure you would provide enough food (you can clip one of the wings so the can't fly away) but I would check your city regulations.🙂

Last edited:
I never had to do anything, they just did what came naturally to them. I offered feed and their water came from the pond. They lived like wild ducks.

why would you get ducks without any intent to keep them?
We've had black swede ducks for many years. We raised some for meat. I stopped raising them for meat for personal reasons, but I like ducks. Wintering them here in northwest PA is tough. We get a lot of snow and ice, and very cold temps. We've left their wings intact and wouldn't dream of cutting them- they need to fly. Keeping foxes away is difficult in the winter. My husband new of someone who had mallards that they raised, that left every fall, and some came back in the spring. We thought we'd try that. So this is our experiment. I like having the ducks, and if they stay, we will care for them, but we'd rather they fly south when the other ducks in the nearby ponds decide to leave.

Back
Top Bottom