I want my Mallards to fly south this fall, will they?

We've had black swede ducks for many years. We raised some for meat. I stopped raising them for meat for personal reasons, but I like ducks. Wintering them here in northwest PA is tough. We get a lot of snow and ice, and very cold temps. We've left their wings intact and wouldn't dream of cutting them- they need to fly. Keeping foxes away is difficult in the winter. My husband new of someone who had mallards that they raised, that left every fall, and some came back in the spring. We thought we'd try that. So this is our experiment. I like having the ducks, and if they stay, we will care for them, but we'd rather they fly south when the other ducks in the nearby ponds decide to leave.
We looked at it like you did. Up until the mallards, we had Swedish blues, Cayugas and Buff ducks. Winter is TOUGH. The mallards were much better suited to us. I got out of ducks though and now I admire everyone else's.

I am going to say that is the 100k question? If the call of nature is strong enough they will fly away. I like to think that our two little wild mallard hens we bought from a private breeder, are happy at home with their flock and will choose to stay because of all the awesome treats and great accommodations! :celebrate :wee Great question, please keep us posted as to what happens. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/do-pet-mallards-fly-south-for-the-winter.310890/
Thank you for the helpful information.

Thank you for the helpful information.
Your very welcome. :) I am in no way an expert, far from it! LOL still very new to the whole duck thing myself. :wee This morning I just check both our wild Mallard hens out of curiosity and they BOTH still have their rear toes and toenails attached. :)

Realizing how much work and care that goes into having ducks, I can fully understand not wanting to winter them if you are not set up for it in the colder States. If you decide not to keep them, maybe you can find someone in your area who would love to add them to their flock. Doing this sooner of later would give everyone enough time to settle in before winter hits.

Good luck and please keep us all posted, everyone loves a happy ending! :)

Back
Top Bottom