I want something....different!

cluckcluckluke

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
The Foothills Of Chickendom
Hay all
smile.png
I have the opportunity to start breeding a certain, single breed. At the moment I already have 1 rooster ( a White Leghorn ) who I am not to keen on moving on ( family favourite ). But I don't think I want to breed White Leghorns. I want something.....different.

A breed that will stand out, very colourful for both the rooster and the hen, still lays well, rare and is an easy breeder. Not like a Cochin or Pekin bantam that you have to trim the vent feathers etc.

Now before you ask, my climate is no problem. It is all relatively 'stable', not overly hot, wet, dry, cold etc and I know it all depends on me and my situation but just some suggestions and info on some breeds would be great
big_smile.png

Thanks, Lucas
smile.png

Edited: Spelling.

Last edited:
Hi! What breeds are available to you and what *other* poultry traits do you like besides:
"A breed that will stand out, very colourful for both the rooster and the hen, still lays well, rare is an easy breeder. No like a Cochin or Pekin bantam that you have to trim the vent feathers etc."
?

Well, what kind of breeds interest you? Are you looking for one that is APA/ABA recognized? Which of the classes interest you the most (American, English, Continental, etc)? Any preference for egg color? Or comb type? Or feather color or pattern? LF or bantams?

Hi! What breeds are available to you and what *other* poultry traits do you like besides:
"A breed that will stand out, very colourful for both the rooster and the hen, still lays well, rare is an easy breeder. No like a Cochin or Pekin bantam that you have to trim the vent feathers etc."
?
I don't know EVERY breed available in my situation, that's why I am asking.lol.
If I get a bit of info on some breeds then I will choose my favorite. I'm going to have another flock ( laying ) so this one that I want to breed will entirely be for a hobby.

Well, what kind of breeds interest you? Are you looking for one that is APA/ABA recognized? Which of the classes interest you the most (American, English, Continental, etc)? Any preference for egg color? Or comb type? Or feather color or pattern? LF or bantams?
I don't know what breeds interest me as I don't know them all.
I live over here in Australia so I don't follow the APA etc. But yes I do want a Pure Breed.
I want LF, lays well, colour is not a priority or comb. I want a colourful, flamboyant breed, like a Phoenix but they don't lay well and I wouldn't be able to look after the roosters tail well.
I won't be showing them either.

I don't know what breeds interest me as I don't know them all.
I live over here in Australia so I don't follow the APA etc. But yes I do want a Pure Breed.
I want LF, lays well, colour is not a priority or comb. I want a colourful, flamboyant breed, like a Phoenix but they don't lay well and I wouldn't be able to look after the roosters tail well.
I won't be showing them either.
Well, that complicates things! There must be an Australian equivalent of the APA I would think. In googling I see there was a book of Australian poultry standards published in 1998. Wouldn't hurt to have a copy of it. Then you can look through and see if you find any breeds you'd like to investigate.

Do you have lakenvelders over in Australia? They lay fairly well (white eggs) and are shaped alot like a leghorn, so no breeding problems.

Here's a picture of one of my roosters, hens are colored the same

Last edited:
Thanks Ram for just giving me some suggestions, you boy is AMAZING. But sadly I don't believe there are any here is Aus. I heard that one lady has them but is very secret for theft reasons, perhaps they are illegal or even just a rumor. Even so they still are not readily available.

Thanks again
smile.png
. Any other suggestions? Do you have any pictures of your hens just out of interest?

I think there might be a earlier one, it's similar to the English one.
So there are no breeds you can suggest for me at all??
I have Faverolles, and I think they are even harder to find in Aus than they are in the US.

How about one of the other colored Leghorns, Anconas, Dorkings, Rocks, Wyandottes or Orpingtons?

Or NH Reds, Welsummers or Andalusians?

Here's a link to the South Australian Poultry Association's list of breeds

http://www.sapoultryassoc.org.au/new-page-24.htm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom