I want something....different!

Still a very nice hen Ram.
What is with the leg ropes??
Lakenvelders are a flighty breed, and I don't handle my birds more than I have to. I tied them much like one would see game stags tied out, so that I could get some decent pictures of them for the lakenvelder section on the CSU thread. Speaking of CSU- Chicken State University, that's a thread you could read through to see pictures and learn about different large fowl breeds. Its still a work in progress, and only has APA accepted birds, but I think it might help you out alot in looking for a new breed.

Quote:
Ok, I get you
smile.png
I will have to check that thread out, thanks!

If you are wanting long tails, there's the yokos (your post above picture) phoenix, and sumatras

I have sumatras so I can say on them but not the others. Sumatras do well at free range and can be flighty if not handled or be tame if handled. Mine slow down in fall and don't lay in winter but are average layers. The females tend to go broody and are good mothers. The males and some females have multiple spurs. I'll put up a picture later of them.

If you are wanting long tails, there's the yokos (your post above picture) phoenix, and sumatras

I have sumatras so I can say on them but not the others. Sumatras do well at free range and can be flighty if not handled or be tame if handled. Mine slow down in fall and don't lay in winter but are average layers. The females tend to go broody and are good mothers. The males and some females have multiple spurs. I'll put up a picture later of them.
droolin.gif
Sumatra's. I had forgotten about them. I would love you to share some pictures and info.

multiple spurs
once again it was before a molt so he is ruff looking about a year old here

(I'm fighting with my computer and it's winning so far so I haven't been able to put new pictures on)

Light dun very young pullet

Last edited:
Hi,
You might want to try and pick your breed piece by piece. Pick a comb you like. Then a tail type.
A color pattern; a color of shanks and feet (which will also be an indicator of the color of the sin of the rest of the bird.
Eye color, egg color ( brown , blue, white?) ; ear lobe color; feather type ( frizzle, silkie, regular, or? ).
Head ornamentation: muff, crest or? Shape of comb: many different types; rate of lay. Friendly or flighty?

Make a list of all the characteristics which you want. Then list them in the order of importance to you.
Now go looking for breeds which best meet your list in the order of your preferences. .
Some colors are harder to breed than others. Tri-color ( Speckled Sussex) , Penciled, laced and mille-fleur are more difficult to breed.
Breeds which need color balancing of the undercolor in order to achieve correct top color are harder to breed.
Solid colors are easier to breed. Wildtype (BBR) is a color obtained by winnowing out all other colors but Gold. Then it self replicates.
BBR Bantam Phoenix cockerel: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Phoen/PhoenixBtyBBRCkl.JPEG
You might also wan to decide if you want the color or the shape of the bird to excel. For instance a black bird
of a particular silhouette may be stunning!
Black Phoenix : http://www.mypetchicken.com/images/chickenPix/large/Studio_BlackSumatra_264_L.jpg
Or maybe a bird with a more cobby form but a stunning color like GOLDEN DUCKWING ARAUCANA
http://www.araucana.com/images/4308_PAQO_19wks_Golden Duckwing Araucana Cockerel.JPG
Best Success,
Karen and the Light Sussex
in western Pennsylvania, USA

Last edited:
multiple spurs
once again it was before a molt so he is ruff looking about a year old here

(I'm fighting with my computer and it's winning so far so I haven't been able to put new pictures on)

Light dun very young pullet

Lovely Sumatra Ram.
I have just found out that they are extremely rare over here in Aus, or possibly not even here. Anyone that does have them are not going to tell you they do. So I think they are out of the picture for me.
Yoko's and Phoenix seem to be my best bet for the long tails.
Hi,
You might want to try and pick your breed piece by piece. Pick a comb you like. Then a tail type.
A color pattern; a color of shanks and feet (which will also be an indicator of the color of the sin of the rest of the bird.
Eye color, egg color ( brown , blue, white?) ; ear lobe color; feather type ( frizzle, silkie, regular, or? ).
Head ornamentation: muff, crest or? Shape of comb: many different types; rate of lay. Friendly or flighty?

Make a list of all the characteristics which you want. Then list them in the order of importance to you.
Now go looking for breeds which best meet your list in the order of your preferences. .
Some colors are harder to breed than others. Tri-color ( Speckled Sussex) , Penciled, laced and mille-fleur are more difficult to breed.
Breeds which need color balancing of the undercolor in order to achieve correct top color are harder to breed.
Solid colors are easier to breed. Wildtype (BBR) is a color obtained by winnowing out all other colors but Gold. Then it self replicates.
BBR Bantam Phoenix cockerel: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Phoen/PhoenixBtyBBRCkl.JPEG
You might also wan to decide if you want the color or the shape of the bird to excel. For instance a black bird
of a particular silhouette may be stunning!
Black Phoenix : http://www.mypetchicken.com/images/chickenPix/large/Studio_BlackSumatra_264_L.jpg
Or maybe a bird with a more cobby form but a stunning color like GOLDEN DUCKWING ARAUCANA
http://www.araucana.com/images/4308_PAQO_19wks_Golden Duckwing Araucana Cockerel.JPG
Best Success,
Karen and the Light Sussex
in western Pennsylvania, USA
Good idea RiverChick!!
I will try that and see what I can find.
As the thread says "I want something different" so if I go for a solid colour breed then I want it to have some good features eg: crests, tails etc. other wise a very colouful breed like a Wyandotte doesn't need to have those features.

That duckwing Ara is wonderful!! But I live over here in Australia and our standard for the Ara is tailed and i am not to fond of them. Not many people breed the rumpless and even though I REALLY like the egg colour that rumpless/ shortened spine thing scares me a little bit ( hatch rates are bad ).

Back
Top Bottom