I want to be able to tell my chicks apart

limabean

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
I've browsed around reading of leg bands, food colouring dots, etc....what do you think? I only have 6 - 2 barred rocks and 4 red stars, less than a week old. I want to handle each of them enough for them to get used to it...but I don't know which ones I've handled and which I haven't. I suppose I could handle one at a time, putting them into a box until I've handled each...but that seems like it would cause a negative association with being handled.

Thoughts?

The more time you spend with them, the easier it will be for you to tell them apart.

Until then, an temporary divider, or even just a second box, should work wonders.

We've been able to tell our chicks apart but when our guineas were keets we put permanent marker on one claw. Each one had a different claw colored. They didn't seem to peck at the claws.

I have the same problem! I have 29 peeps tho! I have multiple brahma's and easter eggers and polish. They r 4 & 5 weeks old and I still have a problem telling some of them apart. We just ordered white numbered leg bands this weekend and so hopefully they won't mind the bands and I'll b able to tell who is who!
ya.gif

We have six girls too; 3 BR and 3 RIR. Our Rock 'Alice' has an all yellow beak with one brown spot and her legs are all yellow, Lil Peep is our smallest Rock and has the shortest tail and mostly gray legs... etc. We just look for little nuances in their appearance that help us. So far it is working.

I honestly think the easiest thing to do is use zip ties for leg bands. They are easy to replace as the chick grows and plenty cheap. Just look for a pack of a few different colors and volia!

Do you have kids? They can spot the differences in a few chickens like no one's business. We have 2 RIRs. I've been informed one has a redder beak and has a whiter chest. We also have 2 BOs; they tell me 1 is "yellower." They both look the same to me, but the kids can the difference... I've tested them.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I could put a piece of cardboard in to separate them as I handle them... Though I don't really get a chunk of time to handle all 6 in a row.

I'm having trouble picturing the zip ties - the only ones I know of are for tying back cords & cables, which would be too big for chicks. There must be some other kind?

I have a 2yo and a 5yo. The 5yo has made some comments about telling them apart, but I don't think he really can yet.

They are used for bunching together cables, but the ones I use for chicks are small..only 4" long and pretty thin. I use them on week old bantam chicks without any problems.

Back
Top Bottom