I want to build a new coop and have some questions

Then wouldn't the design have to be slightly changed? Like a walk-in door on both sides not just one for cleaning. And then only one side would have roosts?
The roosts is easy to answer. Why would roosts be only on one side? I see reason they wouldn't be on both sides.

The cleaning is more difficult. I think it depends on how big the coop is.

My coop is divided into a front section and a back section. Both sections have doors but the door to the back section is very securely covered with metal lath (which is essentially a wire mesh), so people can't get through it. I park a wheel barrow in the front section then stand in the back section to shovel the bedding into the wheel barrow through the sliding door in the divider fence. I think it works well. If I didn't have deep bedding and had to clean it out more often then I think a shovel would work without the wheel barrow - like the cat litter scoop works for the poop board.

If your coop isn't big enough to stand in while you shovel, you might be able to stand in one half while you shovel out the other side. You might try it out before building... maybe put some boxes in a row or hold some plywood with saw horses in the same size of your coop then try moving the shovel around to see.

Obviously, if you don't have a door in middle wall, you would need a door to each side.
So, if I understand correctly the front and top roof windows with the wire in them stay open always? Even in heavy raining or snow storms?
The front "window" isn't really a window. Instead of a wall, you cover it with fence wire of some sort. Here, it needs to have small openings to keep rodents and predators out. Yes, it stays open all the time, even through snow storms. Not much snow comes in because the other walls are solid - the wind doesn't blow the snow in because the wind has no way to go through.

The top window (the monitor window or clerestory window) is open all summer but not in the winter. How much rain comes in depends on several things. Some of the things are how far the roof extends past the wall, whether your windows hinge out to protect the opening (or are taken off completely), how consistently your weather comes from the other directions. In the summer, it doesn't matter much if some rain comes in - in my climate at least. The coop has enough ventilation to dry quickly. My climate is generally humid but not like a rain forest.

My coop gets more rain in it than the Woods' style in the links. I had to compromise with family members who wanted it to look like a standard shed. So I have the entire side open instead of the lower roof sheltering some of the open side and I have no upper windows to open out to shelter it more.

Alright, so talked with my dad and he said I should create a plan or sketch or something of my new coop because he wants to start working on it this winter. My previous coop is pretty small and overall has some issues.

1. Space per chicken

I tried looking this up. The only information I found was 1m² per chicken. The issue is the rule applies to big farms with over 300 chickens and is mean for standard sized chickens. I keep bantams. I have no plans to have any standards in the near future. I want to separate the coop into 2 parts and devide the run into 2 parts so I could keep my breeds separate. I'll keep about 10 bantams on each side. So really it's like 2 seperate coops for 10 chickens but connected by a wire wall in the middle. Please if you comment anything about space keep the measurements in m² or cm².

2. Ventilation

I want a coop that'll keep my chickens comfortable in both 30°C summers and -10°C winters. From my understanding you should have the ventilation by the roof. I usually have my coop door open all day to allow to walk in and out at will.

3. Laying boxes

Currently I have 4 laying boxes. They were made out of wooden potato boxes divided in half. They're a bit bulky and take up some space in the coop. In the new coop would it be a better idea to make laying boxes on the outside of the coop with a liftable lid for easier egg collecting? How many laying boxes would about 10 hens need? I have 8 hens currently and only 1 or 2 of the laying boxes get used.

3. Coop door and cleaning

I have a big enough door that I can walk inside my current coop. For bedding I use a mixture of straw and wood shavings. Now for the winter I also did a layer of sand at the bottom. I want to make the door big enough to be able to comfortably clean the coop. I'd also want easy access to the inside if I ever need to catch my chickens for any reason or take them off the perches.

That's about all I can think of currently. I'll let you know the space that I have to work with for both coop and run later when I measure it. I want at least half of the space to be the run, since that's where my chickens spend most of their day. It would also be great if you had any suggestions for layout of the coop and run. I'm going to make it along a wall.
I didnt read your question but the answer is More Ventilation. and make it bigger 🐔
:love

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I have started building it. I was able to make it bigger than I originally thought I would.
My chicken's will love the extra space and I'll be able to put a brooder with a heat plate in the 2nd half of the coop, seperate a broody with chiks or even seperate a few hens to make sure I'm getting eggs from the ones I want.
20230115_152534.jpg

Another update.
It's still not completely finished, but half of it is pretty much done and my family insisted we move the chickens in today.
At first most of them sat on the nest boxes (a literal plastic box with straw until we build new nest boxes). Now in the evening most are roosting. Some were still sitting in the box. It's a great size for my 9 bantams.

Attachments

• 20230205_140753.jpg
    20230205_140753.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230205_140731.jpg
    20230205_140731.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230205_133655.jpg
    20230205_133655.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230205_140737.jpg
    20230205_140737.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230205_212337.jpg
    20230205_212337.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 6
Here's what my current coop looks like. Don't mind the dirtyness, these pictures were taken at different times and often before cleaning day. It works fine for my 9 bantams for now. Not amazing though.
Those ladies look like they love their home! You are an excellent chicken keeper!!!

Another update.
It's still not completely finished, but half of it is pretty much done and my family insisted we move the chickens in today.
At first most of them sat on the nest boxes (a literal plastic box with straw until we build new nest boxes). Now in the evening most are roosting. Some were still sitting in the box. It's a great size for my 9 bantams.
You did an excellent job!

Back
Top Bottom