I want to collect eggs to hatch, but not sure how?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FrizzleFreak, Feb 16, 2009.

1. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Obviously, refrigerating is bad. Also, is there any way to check fertility before incubation? I'm getting two eggs a day from the hens I want to breed (not bad for two cochin frizz). Where should I keep the eggs? How long can I keep them before they absolutely have to go in the bator? I usually just let the hens decide, but I want babies!!

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You can store them in a cool closet or basement pointy end down in the egg carton. Turn the 3x a day. I just prop up one end of the egg carton.
    They can hold for as lond as 14 days.
    They only way to check ans see if they are fertile is to crack the open and look.

3. FrizzleFreak

Thanks! Does the fertility decline after, for example, 10 days? How much? Which way do you turn them, like rotating, or like flipping?
    <sorry for all the questions>

4. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    i persoanally would not keep eggs longer than 7 days before incubating them. Fertility does start declining after a week.

5. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    actually I think you can candle chicken eggs im not sure when to do it but I know when my snakes lay you can check right away to see if it is fertile

6. FrizzleFreak

I know how to tell a fertile egg once it's open, but the germ spot is tiny before incubation, so I doubt candling would show a NON INCUBATED egg.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    7 to 10 days in a cool dry place, no refrigeration. Set them in egg cartons and tilt 2 or 3 times a day on one end to the other by placing a piece of wooden block or a book. Keeps them viable.

No flopping them over, you will ruin the air sac.

Candling will not show un-fertile til day 7 or so. I always wait til day 10

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  8. FrizzleFreak

Thanks everybody!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by