I want to encourage breeders to become N.P.I.P. certified.

You need to check out your department of agriculture in AK.

I didnt want to be NPIP five years ago when this thread started and I haven't changed my mind. I decided recently to have a necropsy done by the state of GA on a bird and was very much disappointed in what happened with them (never received a final report and the second prelim's diagnosis was called absolute hogwash by a vet who knows my birds and reviewed the report), so I cannot imagine them getting more into my personal business now.

As was stated previously, an NPIP certification does not mean you have a healthy flock. That cannot be stressed enough for folks who believe buying from an NPIP breeder means they are getting disease-free birds.

I have a question about getting NPIP certified. Right now I have a backyard flock but we plan to start breeding and selling chicks next year. Should I have my current flock tested to get NPIP certification or do I need to wait until I have the chickens I plan to breed here?

Also, in Texas, how long does it take from testing to get your certification?

I have a question about getting NPIP certified. Right now I have a backyard flock but we plan to start breeding and selling chicks next year. Should I have my current flock tested to get NPIP certification or do I need to wait until I have the chickens I plan to breed here?

Also, in Texas, how long does it take from testing to get your certification?

The NPIP is done yearly, I think quarterly if you have them tested for Mycoplasmosis, which to me is of MUCH more value than the regular testing. NPIP is rather archaic now since the two main diseases are pretty much eradicated (of course things change, but still, it was created to protect the food supply, not for backyard breeders) So if you don't plan to breed your current flock, and Texas is quite expensive to do the NPIP as I understand it, I would wait until you had the ones you do plan to breed from. It would save you some $$. I think TX is over $100 and my own state is about $10. JMHO.

I don't know the time frame, sorry. I haven't checked it out much since I'm just not interested in it for myself. Just info gleaned here and from state sites.

Last edited:
Don't you have to be certified to show? Is it once a year you have to be certified? Who in the state do you contact to get certified?
I hatch my own and rarely bring in new birds.

(BYC these ads are starting to get annoying. Jamming things up. Seems to me a person should have to click on a video ad to watch it. Not just have it play automatically. I refuse to buy from advertisers who take me hostage)

Last edited:
Speckledhen - Thanks for the information. I plan to sell chicks out of state (hopefully) so will need it. I for some reason thought it was good for a couple years. If I have to retest yearly, then I will wait until I have my breeders. Now if it would only dry up, I can get started on coops and runs and fill them!

Enola, I know once you are certified, you are only supposed to buy from NPIP certified sellers. With the breed I am looking at, most who have birds I like are NPIP certified so that won't be a problem.

I knew I was probably jumping the gun. :)

Back
Top Bottom