I want to get a pair of geese. Can anyone answer a newbie's questions?

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
I saw the pic of the 5.5oz egg and I can feel the old itch coming back, that familiar rush that comes with anticipation. LOL...
lau.gif

So is there a Raising Geese 101 that I can read? I saw that White Chinese are the best egg layers which is what I'd want them for (and meat) and I've read on here that they can be raised with ducks. Here are my questions:

1. How long before a goose begins to lay?

2. I know that geese are seasonal layers, but how often during laying season do they lay? Once a day? Every other day?

3. Since I want to get a pair, do I need to worry about a gander getting along with my ducks, specifically my mean KC drake?

4. Chickens don't need a roo to lay, does the same apply to geese? (I'm thinking yes, but u never know what kind of weird things birds can do)

5. How long before they can go outside? I put my ducks out after about 6-8wks, even though they didn't have all their feathers. Is this okay to do with geese as well?

6. How long before a goose with start laying? About 6 months just like chickens and ducks?

Okay, that's all I can come up with for now. Thanks for trying to get me hooked on something else....Thank God I'm butchering my mixed drakes, right? Cause otherwise this would never happen....

Last edited:
One other thing. Chinese geese are ugly, so is there an alternative breed that lays well? I also read that crossing a chinese with an emden will produce a good layer and good meat bird, but I won't be able to sell hatching eggs for very much, right?

Quote:
I actually think Chinese are some of the most beautiful of geese. They are also the loudest and can sometimes be aggressive. My African geese are laying extremely well, but if you don't like the Chinese, you might not like them. Pilgrims and Buffs are medium sized, but have calmer personalities. Pilgrims are sometimes supposed to have fertility issues, but if you don't want to hatch the eggs, that shouldn't be a deterrent. I've decided I'm adding some Pilgrim geese this year.

Prepare for the addiction! Geese are such fun.

Is there such a thing as an ugly goose????

Seriously, I think they are fascinating creatures. They are fluffy dinosaurs and I LOVE them!!!

Man, I had just decided that since I don't have to meet a minimum order by using my local hatchery that I wasn't gonna get them, especially since no one answered my thread when I thought they would. Great, now I'm having issues saying no...
lau.gif
barnie.gif

So is it worth it in profits?? Pretty much I just need them to pay for themselves....how much can I sell eggs for, eating and hatching???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom