I want to grow the WORLD RECORD cornish cross in size and weight

johnscalido

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
I am not sure if this is at all possible but I am sure that the experts on BYC can answer my question. I would like to grow very big cornish crosses. I want to achieve 33 pounds! if that is at all possible. Has anyone tried this before. I know about all the side-effects associated with my task such as the big birds going down on their legs, heart attacks and etc. However I am confident that I can achieve a very big bird. I want to start my own domain www.BIGBIRDIES.com to show everyone that I am serious.
60021_drle.jpg

Okay what about 24 pounds per bird. I have 10 Cornish crosses and I bought them as chicks on the 25th May 2010. They should have an average weight of about 15 pounds by now. I know it might sound impossible but at the rate of 2 pounds per week I should reach my target weight soon. I have also noticed something. It seems that their legs give in quickest. I am only feeding them once a day. But when I feed them I make sure that they have more than enough. I also have two seperate feeders so that competition between the bigger birds are marginalised and it gives the smaller birds a chance to feed. I let them free range to feed on grass and cloves. The reason why I feel that witholding feed is a good idea is because I want to give them a chance to strenghten their legs in order to carry their immense weight. What do you guys think. Also I hope that I wont spoil the meat after processing. I still want tender juicy meat. Is it at all possible.

Last edited:
Anything is possible...but I doubt that encouraging a bird to that size is a pleasant life for the bird. I would say that your bird will no longer be walking and will have sores on its breast before you achieve 25 lbs.

Mine were free ranged and fed only once per day, not on high protein feeds. They were about 10 lbs at processing time and they were already limited in their mobility. They could walk and even run, but more often would lie down in the grass for most of the day.

Not to be a killjoy but I see no merit in your experiment, so I won't wish you good luck....only good common sense.
wink.png

I bet you would not only have the record for biggest cornish X,
but also be the 1st to perform a heart cath and put a stint in
a chicken. That's probably what it would take.

I have to agree with beekissed in this instance. Unless this can be done without being cruel to the chicken then don't do it just for pride or profit. These are are living, sentient beings and already live tortured lives when raised in the "mega" growing houses and slaughter houses.
no.gif

Look for ways to let them have better lives for the short time before we have them for dinner--now that's something to strive for!
47b20s0.gif

I have a 26 pound 4 ounce cornish x (Big Boy). He is 14 weeks old yesterday. He crows and mounts turkeys that are laying down to rest. When they stand up he usually falls off and starts to run like crazy because he knows that turkey is going to chase him around the 1/2 acre pen at least once. He always out runs them because he is able to run through the flock of turkeys to lose the purser (maybe the purser looses interest--who knows).

Last year we kept 25 cornish x (cockerels) to see how big they would get; average dressed weight was 17 pound 2 ounces; the largest being 20 pounds 7 ounces. So, 33 pounds live weight is not out the question if adequate exercise and nutrition were given during their whole life.

The official record is 23 pounds 3 ounces--the weight was verified by a veterinary clinic scale years ago (probably no more accurate than most digital ones currently available). Can’t remember the gentleman’s name but he lived in Australia, the breed was a White Sully (developed in California), which is close to the modern cornish x. It was about 20 or so years ago.

Good luck!!

Now i don't want to spark a war but i don't think hes doing any thing to bad it sounds like at least right now they have a good life... Just make sure you don't go overboard and compromise there happinesss/ health. But thats just me.
big_smile.png

Hey guys... This is an interesting and probably controversial topic but it needs to stay civil. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing, but tact and civility are required.

Just a few reminders from the rules:

* Be friendly and courteous to all members at all times.
4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntarily, so please be considerate when posting.
* Have fun and learn!

Please hit the report button if you see anything else inappropriate and the Staff will take action where needed. Thanks for helping us to keep the forum "clean"!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom