I want to grow the WORLD RECORD cornish cross in size and weight

I don't know if it's do able, but let us know how it goes! I had two reach 20 pounds and healthy by FREE RANGING ONLY! I think a key would be in longer slower growth as opposed to rapid and I think you would have to cross in some bigger stronger bones like brahma or Jersey Giant

Just returned from weighing some of our 30 month old cornish xs in our breeding program (the first birds we started with). The Roosters weigh 31-5, 30-9 and 30-1 (pounds-ounces); the 15 hens weigh from 26-4 to 29-10. They still are laying 4-5 eggs/week. Haven't lost one and all are in very good health.

I believe they will live another year or so productively. It is important to give them proper nutrition especially in the first 5 week after hatching. Keep the fat down, plenty of exercise. Muscle weighs more than fat and muscle doesn’t crowd the internal organs like fat does.

Your goal is acheivable.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Of course, at that point, would you really want to eat them when they do get sent to the "range."

Wouldn't it be a better idea to cross these freaks back to a variety that has either a larger bone structure, (not to mention, maybe a darker color) and then if you wanted that higher weight sooner, perhaps a faster growing breed (just a thought). Perhaps an F1 or F2 of a Brahma crossed with Rock or NH Red. Reason I say F2, is that you can adjust many things in a second gen crossing, especially if you have a larger pool of candidates.

I can see it now, "The All-American Free-Range Behemoth of Culinary Delight. Able to reach 20 pounds in 20 weeks. Dressing out at 12 to 14 pounds. The true breeding chicken breed known as The Incredible Cluck."

LOL! Just thought I'd have a little fun with it
wink.png

Last edited:
I guess i'm not sure why you would want to do this. I don't really have experience with cx, but it seems like it could easily be an act of cruelty. If you are able to do what you want to do and keep healthy, active birds, then fine. Otherwise, i am compelled to discourage you. I'm sorry.

Sounds interesting but what is the real goal just to keep the bird alive long enough to achieve its full potential? Is it worth the effort?

Back
Top Bottom