I want to hatch again!! How do I convince my mom???

Crazy Duck Lover

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Southern United States 🇺🇸
Hey there! I incubated two batches of duck eggs this year, and overall got a hatch rate below 50% :(
I want to try one more time and have multiple sets of eggs I have my eyes on to choose from. I'm trying to convince my mom to let me do it again, but she says she's tired of the mess my current ducklings are making. I clean their brooder everyday, and have figured out a way to keep the water contained. I take care of them everyday. How can I convince her to let me get some eggs? We have the space, and I could pay for the eggs with my own money. Any help appreciated!!

How many do you already have? Your mom sounds smart it's probably not a great idea to hatch more if you still live with her and she doesn't want to. You may be able to afford the eggs, but can you afford the thousands of dollars in vet bills you will potentially have to pay in the future? I think since you said you currently have ducklings it's probably a better idea to live with them for a few more months before deciding to add more.

How many do you already have? Your mom sounds smart it's probably not a great idea to hatch more if you still live with her and she doesn't want to. You may be able to afford the eggs, but can you afford the thousands of dollars in vet bills you will potentially have to pay in the future?
I have 9. lol. She is a smart woman for sure! More than 9 probably would be a bit much! I didn’t think about vet bills and things like that... thanks!

While I am not advocating overducking (or overdoing any other birds), here are a couple of ways to approach a mom for more hatching.
  1. A science experiment: write up — and complete— a hypothesis, procedure, etc. Not talking about experimenting on live animals (of course), just simpler questions such as the effect of playing music for the eggs vs silence.
  2. A business or economic plan: more writing, yep. Calculate costs, timelines, etc. Then present how you can offset costs over time by selling birds, eggs, or eating the birds and reducing your grocery bills.
All that said, I agree — 9 ducklings is already a lot to manage. We had 5 giant pekins and it felt like we were drowning in ducks by a month old.

I love to hatch ducklings too. I have six adult ducks and my husband and I have agreed that we do not need any more. So, I find people who want ducklings and hatch eggs for them. Win-win, I get to hatch but do not have too many ducks. You can even offer to keep them for the first week or two to make them more used to people.
That’s a great idea! I have a neighbor down the street with ducks. I’ll see if he’ll let me incubate for him!

Back
Top Bottom