I want to hatch some eggs! Trying to be patient...

foxypoproxy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Madison, CT
I live in CT.
I am trying to be patient...i was planning on hatching some chicks during the spring but all this waiting!
barnie.gif

Ive never hatched chicks before.
I feel like i'm going crazy, i'm trying to think of every way possible to make it work.

I keep giving excuses like..."well i should hatch out some *practice eggs* just to make sure the incubator works"....

I was going to use a broody hen during the spring but i obviously can't do that right now..
When it comes down to it though, i don't want my crazy addiction to compromise the chicks health.
Because i live so far north, is it too dangerous to the chicks to hatch them out during the winter season?
How old do they have to be to move outside?

Every logical part of me says to just be patient...
But i'm just so excited!
celebrate.gif

Everytime i see a post of someone ready to set eggs i say to myself "see they are doing it! I can too
ya.gif
"
Someone convince me that i can't do this till spring
hide.gif

Last edited:
Its possible to do it now, but you know there are some down sides. You already have chickens so I'm guessing you know what you're getting into. The way I see it - you already know what you need to do - even if you don't like it. Your love for the birds long term will give you strength to do the right thing.

Oh, and "so far North", umm...I don't think so.

Just be sure that you have a back-up heat source if your power goes out. Virginia winters are mild, but I like knowing that our woodstove will keep us warm when Dominion can't. If you don't have a way to heat your house, it's probably not a good idea to hatch chicks during the colder months. If you have natural gas, oil, wood, or a generator and lots of gas, well, why not?

Last edited:
Well i'm definitely waiting till spring now...
I just went outside to check my chickens and one of them has puffy skin around there eyes
hit.gif

So i have to figure whats going on first before i bring any more chickens in...

You know, coming here and asking whether or not to hatch eggs is like asking your drug dealer whether you should go into rehab!!!

This site is a wealth of great information, but (for me) it's a terrible influence.

I have some eggs incubating (day 14), and I'm seriously contemplating grounding myself until day 20. I read all these threads and worry about everything that could go wrong, and then try and candle, and am not sure if they're good or not and generally just freak myself out.

Hi correct me of I am mistaken but if you are hatching eggs in a incubator don't count your eggs before they've hatched or it can be very sad!
sad.png

Me and my friend hatched some (we had 16 eggs and only 2 hatched successfully) but it was our first time. Also I wish you the best of luck and hope all the little chicks are healthy!!

How do you add a photo on this site????

Back
Top Bottom