I want to knit (there's nothing to do and it's 5* outside)

On the topic of knitting as a man, it's traditionally the men in African who knit, not the women. Most male Peace Corps volunteers who go there come home with a new skill.

My father taught me to knit, and crochet, and to cook come to that...lol
Not bad for a huge bear of a highlander, he also taught me to take care of my car and to lay bricks and fix a plug. lol....

That is what you get for being an only child to a Scotsman.
smile.png

Jena.

Ohh and boys to knit a scarf, depending on your wool you really want a pair of needles, and they should be at least a size 5, but it does depend on the kind of wool you have.

Sorry I took so long to come back to you.

Jena.

Quote:
on the site go to view videos go to the bottom of that page were it says more beg tips on this page click on "this" about half way down you should find the how to make your own needles. I got dowels to make me a big set of needles today. Needles are $6 dowel was under a dollar

Hey guys, it's so awesome to see how many of you are knitting, or starting to do so!
ya.gif
When I decided about 5 years ago that I wanted to learn, I got the the Stitch N grump book and sat down, thinking I could figure it out on my own. My boyfriend heard me throw my knitting needles across the room a few hours later when I gave up on trying to figure out how to make the slip knot, which is the first thing you need to know how to do if you are going to knit.
gig.gif

He was kind enough to come and sit down with me, look at the diagrams and instructions, and totally hooked me up. He had no idea how to knit, but he's great at following diagrams and instructions and between the two of us, I've been knitting for years.

Making your own knitting needles feels great and is pretty easy. I just started in on that project when I needed a size I didn't have and didn't feel like spending $8 to get them. Dowels, a pencil sharpener, sand paper, a little wax, and a needle gauge measure, and you're on your way. What a nice feeling! Not a bad gift idea either.

Size 1 needles will take a lonnnnnng time to make a scarf and work best if you're using super-thin yarn, more the size of string. I'm famous for ignoring patterns (or just not using one to begin with) and just picking up whatever needles and yarn I have around and making something, but it's much harder to get things to turn out the way you like.

If it's a simple scarf however, you can probably do anything you like and it will turn out. It may just be kind of funny looking.
idunno.gif
My first scarf had broad stripes and I figured I would use yarns of different thicknesses and what a mess that turned out to be! Way funny looking. I'd be embarrassed to wear it. So, I learned something on that one.

A website I found handy is knittinghelp.com. They have really good video instructions on a lot of the stitches that have plagued me. Check them out! Have fun with your scarf!

youtube.com is a great resource for learning how to knit. I've used it to learn new casting-on techniques. The best thing is that you can rewind it as many times as you need and watch it any time of day.

Hi all you new knitters!! How did your projects come out? I just found this thread by accident and I was wondering? I am just getting comfortable knitting, I learned by playing You Tube videos over and over. I'm a girl, but my when we were kids my brother was fascinated by our mom crocheting, watching her doing it and seeing some straight string turn into something else, and he wanted to learn too. I learned to crochet, but our mom didn't knit, and I didn't love crocheting back then.

Fishermen used to knit socks and sweaters on board ship a lot back in sailing days too, fishnets back then were made by knotting string, a sort of crocheting and weavers were very often men. Something else to keep in mind is that sewing machines are nothing but power tools!
tongue.png
I don't see how any of that stuff is just for women OR men, I know how to use a power saw and a hammer, so why shouldn't anyone learn to knit if they want to?

A friend also sent me the http://www.knittinghelp.com/ site and I liked that a lot too. I'll be going there to figure out how to cast off.
hmm.png
I like that I can play the videos over and over and the person doesn't get that little tone in their voice as if I'm a little dim cause I don't understand what the person is telling me right away!

There's a LOT of pretty cool patterns that aren't 'girly' either, especially if you pick out the right yarn.
cool.png

size 1 is tiny. I would use a size 4 or 5 maybe even an 8 depending on the yarn I use red heart. What kind of yarn are you using? Are you doing k1, p1 in rows?

Back
Top Bottom