I Want to Know More About Khaki Campbell Ducks

caitiewantsducks

Chirping
Apr 24, 2021
so I've been doing research on Khaki Campbell ducks I'm not sure if I'll ever get ducks but i really like Khaki's! I have a few questions thought.

-Is it smart to free range Khaki Campbell ducks? i hear there great flyers so idk if that's smart I've also heard of clipping there wings so they can't fly and I'm not sure if that's a good thing to do.

-I've heard that a female only flock can lead to them treating you like a drake i don't really want a drake but if it's a better bet i won't be treated as one then I'll do it.

-this one isn't Khaki Campbell specific but what is the best way to keep ducks water unfrozen in the winter? Also I've been told that ducks don't need water to swim in the winter and also seeing that they should have water to swim in so I'm not sure if i should provide swimming water or not.

-last question how do i properly care for Khaki Campbell ducklings?

sorry for so many questions but i hope you can provide answers!

-Caitlin :D

so I've been doing research on Khaki Campbell ducks I'm not sure if I'll ever get ducks but i really like Khaki's! I have a few questions thought.

-Is it smart to free range Khaki Campbell ducks? i hear there great flyers so idk if that's smart I've also heard of clipping there wings so they can't fly and I'm not sure if that's a good thing to do.

-I've heard that a female only flock can lead to them treating you like a drake i don't really want a drake but if it's a better bet i won't be treated as one then I'll do it.

-this one isn't Khaki Campbell specific but what is the best way to keep ducks water unfrozen in the winter? Also I've been told that ducks don't need water to swim in the winter and also seeing that they should have water to swim in so I'm not sure if i should provide swimming water or not.

-last question how do i properly care for Khaki Campbell ducklings?

sorry for so many questions but i hope you can provide answers!

-Caitlin :D
I did keep a few Khakis when I had pekins. They are prolific egg layers (almost non stop). They are also a lot more afraid of people and tend to run when you enter the pen.

I raised mine from ducklings in a separate area from the pekins so the larger males wouldn't hurt the females. They were very skittish and stand-off-ish. I would absolutely not trust them free range. They would be gone in a heartbeat.
Even clipped they can fly pretty high.

As for the pools, I just did it the hard way. When they froze I'd flip them over and slide the ice block out, then refill. You can also buy pond warmers, but you have to be careful around the ducks since they can get burnt on them. I hope this helps!

In my experience, Khaki Campbell ducks do not fly. Swimming water can be supplied if/when temperatures rise above freezing - it is not necessary on a daily basis. Provide a breed/age specific duck feed and supplement with Niacin and ducklings will thrive.

If you clip wing feathers then just clip one wing instead of two, this will throw them off balance and they won't get very far. My welshies never flew over their two foot fence and I didn't have to clip wings, I think a lot depends on the individual duck when it comes to flying, clipping their flight feathers doesn't hurt them at all unless you wrench their wing around and manhandle them.

Having a drake never hurts and in my experience it would be better than an all girl flush. My drake was very bold (as most boys are) and when I lost him the other ducks decided not to be around me anymore.

Frozen waters aren't a big issue, this winter in texas we had two freezes and we have a LOT of waterers to break. I used a rubber feed pan for my ducks and it was perfect, not too big so when it got dirty I wasn't dumping out a ton of water and they could actually climb into it and play. When it freezes just put on some regular soft gloves and then another surgical pair on top of those and then you can pull the ice put without freezing your fingers off.

If you decide to free-range them make sure they like you. Start when they're little and spend lots of time with them bonding. When you give them treats or feed them make a special call (start this as soon as possible) and when they're older they will know to come when they hear the call.

And finally when they're little just make sure that they always have water and food. A duck specific food is best but mine actually did just fine on a layer's ration (I'm sure there's lots of people who would say that's not okay but it's what I had and they looked amazing) having acv and garlic in their water is good too. Ducks (babies especially!!!) need lots of niacin so a brewers yeast or supplement added to their food or water will be good for them. Also treats like peas that contain niacin would be a good way to bond with them, train them, and give them the nutrients they need. When you give them water make sure it's in a dish that is deep enough for them to clean they're nares out in, I used a dish with a soda bottle suspended over it to make sure they always had lots of clean water. A heat lamp is necessary for them if they don't have a mom, just keep it secure so that they don't get burned. I just attach mine to the side of the brooder at a good distance and if they keep away from it a lot then they're too hot and it needs to be moved further away, if they cuddle under it like crazy then they're cold and it could be moved a bit closer. A small dish with chick grit is okay but not always needed, I give it to them as an option but don't be worried if they don't use it.

Hope this helps- Eve

I started with Khakis and they were/are wonderful. My most friendly is my original female because I put the time in with her when she was young. I think an all female flock is fine. Mine can’t fly more than a foot or two off the ground. One of my females could fly better when she was young and light. After she flew over a six foot privacy fence into the neighbors yard (fortunately their dog wasn’t out) I clipped the feathers on one of her wings. She is five now and has never needed it done again. Mine free range in a fenced garden every day but I do not have many predators to worry about.

Oh and as babies I actually preferred to use hay instead of shavings for their bedding because they would try to eat the shavings and the shavings would get in their water all the time.

If you do end up needing to clip their wings, it's not bad they don't feel it. I need to clip my girls wings because they are very good fliers.

Also you do not need a drake if you don't want one, I only have ducks.
ok i just know sometimes the females will try and make you the drake which can be weird but it doesn't always happen

If you clip wing feathers then just clip one wing instead of two, this will throw them off balance and they won't get very far. My welshies never flew over their two foot fence and I didn't have to clip wings, I think a lot depends on the individual duck when it comes to flying, clipping their flight feathers doesn't hurt them at all unless you wrench their wing around and manhandle them.

Having a drake never hurts and in my experience it would be better than an all girl flush. My drake was very bold (as most boys are) and when I lost him the other ducks decided not to be around me anymore.

Frozen waters aren't a big issue, this winter in texas we had two freezes and we have a LOT of waterers to break. I used a rubber feed pan for my ducks and it was perfect, not too big so when it got dirty I wasn't dumping out a ton of water and they could actually climb into it and play. When it freezes just put on some regular soft gloves and then another surgical pair on top of those and then you can pull the ice put without freezing your fingers off.

If you decide to free-range them make sure they like you. Start when they're little and spend lots of time with them bonding. When you give them treats or feed them make a special call (start this as soon as possible) and when they're older they will know to come when they hear the call.

And finally when they're little just make sure that they always have water and food. A duck specific food is best but mine actually did just fine on a layer's ration (I'm sure there's lots of people who would say that's not okay but it's what I had and they looked amazing) having acv and garlic in their water is good too. Ducks (babies especially!!!) need lots of niacin so a brewers yeast or supplement added to their food or water will be good for them. Also treats like peas that contain niacin would be a good way to bond with them, train them, and give them the nutrients they need. When you give them water make sure it's in a dish that is deep enough for them to clean they're nares out in, I used a dish with a soda bottle suspended over it to make sure they always had lots of clean water. A heat lamp is necessary for them if they don't have a mom, just keep it secure so that they don't get burned. I just attach mine to the side of the brooder at a good distance and if they keep away from it a lot then they're too hot and it needs to be moved further away, if they cuddle under it like crazy then they're cold and it could be moved a bit closer. A small dish with chick grit is okay but not always needed, I give it to them as an option but don't be worried if they don't use it.

Hope this helps- Eve
thank you! can i keep ducklings in an outside coop or do they have to be inside? this helps a ton! thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom