I want to let the chickens out Question.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, Jul 23, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yep , brand new to the chicken life. Here's the story. I have 10 RIR chickens.6 are 14 weeks & 4 are 10 weeks old. I live on a farm lots of space & a million grasshoppers. I built a 8x 10 coop. My last name is Hooper so the coop is called. well you can figure that out. I've only had the chickens for a week but they are dying to catch bugs.Forgot to mention that I do have a run with a wire roof. Lot of predators at the farm. The chickens sit & watch the grasshoppers flying around & they just want to go get em. I catch a few throw them in the run & they go crazy. Is it to early to let them out are what. Don't worry I'll be with em i wouldn't miss this show for nothing.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

LET "EM GO!! ENJOY!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] sure let them go be chickens! [​IMG]

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Gosh, you are in for some great entertainment -- open the door, pull up a chair and enjoy the show!!!! [​IMG]

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I'm scared they will never come back. They are gonna be in heaven. What about the young ens?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'm scared they will never come back. They are gonna be in heaven. What about the young ens?

If they've been locked in their coop and pen for awhile, they should have it set in their minds that it's home. If you're really worried about it you can start by letting them out just a few hours before dusk, so they don't have time to wander far.
    My 6 week old chicks are bug catchers extraordinaires, have been since they were about 2 weeks old. Let em all out.

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

They'll get tired and hungry (for the easy food) and come home to roost. [​IMG]

... and in a pinch, a little gentle guidance with a broom works. [​IMG]

8. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Cut 'em loose ![​IMG]

9. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    They will have a lot of fun chasing those grasshoppers around! I agree with everyone else, let em out!

When I first started letting mine out I only let them out abou 2-3 hours before their 'bedtime' to make sure they came back to their coop and they did. I do now let them out for about 5-6 hours for the laying hens and the young ones are out all day and they all come back to their own coops... even when they are out together.

Enjoy watching them, they are cheap entertainment!

10. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I'm gonna be the wet blanket here, and just remind you to check for predators. Sorry [​IMG]
    Build 'em a "tractor."

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by