I want to let the chickens out Question.

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
Yep , brand new to the chicken life. Here's the story. I have 10 RIR chickens.6 are 14 weeks & 4 are 10 weeks old. I live on a farm lots of space & a million grasshoppers. I built a 8x 10 coop. My last name is Hooper so the coop is called. well you can figure that out. I've only had the chickens for a week but they are dying to catch bugs.Forgot to mention that I do have a run with a wire roof. Lot of predators at the farm. The chickens sit & watch the grasshoppers flying around & they just want to go get em. I catch a few throw them in the run & they go crazy. Is it to early to let them out are what. Don't worry I'll be with em i wouldn't miss this show for nothing.

LET "EM GO!! ENJOY!!
ya.gif
clap.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif

Quote:
I'm scared they will never come back. They are gonna be in heaven. What about the young ens?

If they've been locked in their coop and pen for awhile, they should have it set in their minds that it's home. If you're really worried about it you can start by letting them out just a few hours before dusk, so they don't have time to wander far.
My 6 week old chicks are bug catchers extraordinaires, have been since they were about 2 weeks old. Let em all out.

They will have a lot of fun chasing those grasshoppers around! I agree with everyone else, let em out!

When I first started letting mine out I only let them out abou 2-3 hours before their 'bedtime' to make sure they came back to their coop and they did. I do now let them out for about 5-6 hours for the laying hens and the young ones are out all day and they all come back to their own coops... even when they are out together.

Enjoy watching them, they are cheap entertainment!

Back
Top Bottom