I want to order from a hatchery in the spring, but which one?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Smartie_Pants, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I don't know much about hatcheries, but I know what I want. I want healty birds that are shipped fast and grow up to be friendly. I want:

3 EE Hens

5 Cochin Hens (Barred,Blue, Mottled, Siver Laced, Buff, or Splash.)

2 Partridge Silkie Hens

Call ducks (1 grey male, 3 females(not sure on color.))

Where can I get what I want that will let me order only 14 babies?

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:Ideal would be my recommendation, but they do not sex their Bantams and Silkies. And that will be your problem, most hatcheries do not sex their banatams and Silkies. Also, Ideal does not sell call ducks.

Not sure you will find one place that has all that you want exactly.

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    The only place I know of that sexes bantams is My Pet Chicken and they charge a premium for the service.

It is actually cheaper to order more birds than you want then sell of cull the cockrels. My husband can't handle that so we're paying the extra for sexed bantams in the spring. [​IMG]

4. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I wish MPC was going to have the banties I want, but alas they will not. [​IMG] So Ideal is it for me.

I cant wait for spring:D

5. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I ordered mine from Ideal and got three crossbeaked and 1 died in the box and the other that was supposed to be a Golden Sebright (I think he was inbred) was always weak even treating him all the time he finally died.

6. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Hi All:

I have the same question in MD. In the spring (as early as possible this time):

3 EEs
    2 Welsummers
    1 or 2 Leghorns

I used MPC last year and I love my 5 little girls. I really do not want to order extra to sell and I just could not cull. I so have an offer from another BYCer for a couple of leghorns, I just have to drive about 60 miles.

Thanks!

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I ordered bantam cochins from Ideal in October. They shipped FAST, and I am having great success with the chicks.

I ordered blue babies, and all 10 are blue. There were no splash or black in there, though I would have liked a couple of splash. They also stuck in 15 packing peanuts, one of which died during shipping.

I now have 24 7wk babies, happy and healthy, and I will order from Ideal again. They've won my loyalty.

8. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Those of you interested in small number purchases may want to check out Meyer Hatchery in Polk Ohio.. they let you order a minimum of 3 with a small fee attached. I did this and got beautiful healthy chicks..they also replaced free of charge the three that were supposed to be pullets and turned out to be roosters..they have an amazing variety too.. I got one of this, one of that, etc.. which included buckeye, deleware, buff orpington, EE/Ameracauna, silver spangled hamburg, black bantam cochin, new hampshire red, white leghorn. they have a nice website too and will send you a free colored catalog.

9. Bantamlover23

Bantamlover23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    I ordered 12 bantams from Ideal and received them when I was told I would. I order 4 millie fleur "duccles, 4 Golden laced cochin bantams, and 4 Barred cochin bantams. I got no packing peanuts and all the chicks in great condition. I got 3 calls from the post office telling me my chicks were and the only reason I did not asnwer the first 2 calls was because I was school and couldn't. But I would definately order from Ideal again. Oh the customur service was great to.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Meyer Hatchery in Polk, Ohio.

Small orders and they ship them with extra heat is needed...
    They shipped when I was told they would ship (I ordered 2.5 months ahead of time)
    Great customer service
    I received my girls in less than 36 hours from hatch
    I ordered 21 pullets of carious breeds....I received 22 total and 1 turned out to be a roo...my extra was a pullet (Not bad odds)

They carry the breeds you are looking for...

http://www.meyerhatchery.com

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by