I want to sell chicken eggs

mdulik

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Im not sure where to start looking for the right information about selling chicken eggs. I have been selling to my neighbors for awhile now and that is not a problem. The owner of the local gas station/mini mart has asked me if I would start selling him eggs to sell in the store. I sure that I have to have some sort of permit or license to do this, but I am not sure where to start looking for the right information. Could somebody please point me in the right direction.

It is unlikely you need a permit to sell eggs. Usually any income under $600 a year is (usually) ignored by the government.

If you would be doing so on a large scale, you'd need a business license, a sales/use tax license, and probably need to go through some food-regulatory inspections in your area.

Start with your local farmer's markets and ask around. Otherwise you can call your municipality's business division and ask them.

Last edited:
It depends what state you are in. FYI in Nebraska, you are required to get an "Egg Number" from the State Department of Agriculture before selling eggs. I would contact your state's Dept of Ag, or go through their web site.

Back
Top Bottom