I want to sell chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by mdulik, Dec 13, 2010.

1. mdulik

mdulik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Im not sure where to start looking for the right information about selling chicken eggs. I have been selling to my neighbors for awhile now and that is not a problem. The owner of the local gas station/mini mart has asked me if I would start selling him eggs to sell in the store. I sure that I have to have some sort of permit or license to do this, but I am not sure where to start looking for the right information. Could somebody please point me in the right direction.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It is unlikely you need a permit to sell eggs. Usually any income under $600 a year is (usually) ignored by the government.

If you would be doing so on a large scale, you'd need a business license, a sales/use tax license, and probably need to go through some food-regulatory inspections in your area.

Start with your local farmer's markets and ask around. Otherwise you can call your municipality's business division and ask them.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  3. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    It depends what state you are in. FYI in Nebraska, you are required to get an "Egg Number" from the State Department of Agriculture before selling eggs. I would contact your state's Dept of Ag, or go through their web site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by