i want to start breeding a more uncommon chicken that sells good

I had planned on creating special easter eggers here. Blue bearded and feather legged easter eggers. Cross black cochin hens with a splash ameraucana rooster. They would all be BLUE, feather legged and bearded. I had 2 here that were created accidently and they were GORGEOUS birds.

However, I don't have the time or space for that project.......but people love BLUE birds and colored eggs.

Last edited:
I agreed also,I have some rarer breeds and they sell in the spring then nothing.People are always wanting good egg layers like,leghorns,wyandottes,and orps.E/E's are very popular and come in different morphs.

I dont try to sell eggs or birds to get rich. I will sell a few eggs when I have extras, and sometimes sell live birds just to help with the feed cost. I keep my birds because I just like messing with them. Usually when I get to many birds or chicks, I just call up the local trader and sell him whatever I want to get rid of. Note, this isnt the best way to make money off your birds. I have had several breeds and am now cross breeding to make mutt chickens I like to look at. I also keep some rare breeds and try to improve on them by selective breeding, but I dont want to get into serious show breeding, I just want birds that look like I think they should. For eating eggs, I could get by with 1/2dz layers, but I probably have close to 100 birds of various ages. I'll let them grow, keep the ones I like and cull the rest. I hatch way to many chicks and enjoy every minute of it.

Quote:
Just look for something that is popular but not a lot of good breeders in your area. Than be "the breeder" that New Englanders go to for that breed!

Last edited:
There is nothing in the world wrong with wanting to make some money. I like the things money buys!

With that said, if you are looking to raise a breed just to make money then forget it. You'll be no good to the breed; just another chicken peddlar. That is the last thing we need: especially with rare breeds.

Rare breeds need dedicated breeders who do it because they love the birds: have learned and are learning about good breeding practises: and don't mind spending hard earned money to make the project successful.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
x 2!!!

Back
Top Bottom