i want to start breeding a more uncommon chicken that sells good

Quote:
Yeah, they go for high prices here, too, and I can just imagine why. (Actually I'd rather not try to imagine it!)

My Asil sell for rather high prices. Why?; because I have some of the best in the nation! I exhibit my birds all across the South. I've gone as far as the Crossroads Show in Indianapolis and plan to again if I can afford the gas.

I recent your comment.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
x 2!!!

I raise bantam Welsummers because I LOVE the breed. Am I in it for money? No. I normally don't have any problems selling or giving them away to 4Hers or eat them if I need to. I agree with D'anvers.

BTW, I had a D'Anvers and she was a sweetie! Came from Catalupa Farms...not sure if they are raising them anymore.

This list does need a little updating....but it can give you a good idea of what needs help:

http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#chickens

That said--the first thing you need to do is figure out what you want in these chickens...eggs, show, meat, etc? What do people in your area want?

Next, what is your climate? I can tell you right now that certain rare breeds do very poorly in heat, others die when it gets below freezing and still others are very hardy no matter what.

If you live somewhere cold...pick a breed with a pea, walnut, rose or cushion comb. Brahmas, Wyandottes, Orloffs, etc. If you live somewhere with blistering hot summers, avoid big fluffy birds and go for something with a large single comb--like blue Andalusians, Minorca, or white faced black Spanish.

Lastly, you won't really make too much money off chickens or eggs. Trust me...I have tried. I have come to the conclusion that specializing in no more than 15 breeds works best for me and if I wasn't so obsessed, I'd concentrate on one or two breeds at the most.
smile.png
That said, find your breed and focus on it. Cull, cull, cull....start showing and build a name for yourself. My chickens now make enough during the breeding season to pay their own feed bill through the winter. They also bought 13 tons of hay for my four horses for this winter, financed another coop project, paid for my yearly internet bill, my domain name and my website for a year.

Also, consider joining the ALBC, SPPA or the APA. Network. Find breeders who specialize in the breed you're interested in and avoid hatcheries.

Of course, if you're just wanting a chicken to lay eating eggs...hatchery stock is just fine....

Last edited:
You may just have to give a few breeds a try and see what sells in your area. I saw where someone above posted that Brahmas didn't sell well but they sell really good for me.

Also it's hard to go wrong with long time favorites too. RIR, BO, BLK AU all sell well for me even though the are really common. A lot of people just want a good layer and want something they have had before.

That list needs a LOT of "updating"
wink.png

New Hampshires, Rhode Island Whites, Catalanas, La Fleche, and Houdans are far rarer than the list says they are, and in desperate need of preservation.

Quote:
If by "list" you're referring to the LABC list.... They changed their criteria for the latest version. Instead of focusing on America, they looked at other countries for a "world-wide " population. The difficulty is, of course, that most of live in America and want a clear idea of what's happeneing to these birds in America. Thus, as you notcied, for those in the know the list no longer really bears any meaning....pout.

Uncommon as in appearance or in availability?

If you're just interested in a new project, I suggest beginning with lavender Cochins. They're in high demand so you can make some cash.

Back
Top Bottom