I wanted all pullets and accidental got a cockeral in the bunch.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PRiesen, Jul 14, 2008.

1. PRiesen

PRiesen New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    I have two adult hens (Araucana and Light Brahma) and decided to add to the family. I live in a semi rural neighborhood with fairly tolerant neighbors, but figured that I would stick with hens so as not to push the envelope. Two months ago I added quite a mix: 2 more Araucanas and another Light Brahma as well as two Black Sex Linked, a Rhode Island Red, and 2 Buff Orpingtons. Much to my surprise, time has revealed that one of the Buffs is clearly a cockerel.

My primary concern is that the noise from the Rooster will upset the neighbors. If I am able to work through that issue, my secondary concern is that I will need to keep the Orpingtons separate from the others in order not to breed indiscriminately. We are building a new, larger coop so I suppose that I can simply divide it.

What to do? What to do?

I would appreciate any advice as I am not sure whether to simply find a home for the little guy or endeavor to work through it.

2. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Well, sometimes they send you "Packing Peanuts" with your order so your hens stay warm. But, usually they give you a roo AND your hens. Hmm... Then again, sexing isn't a completly accurate science, and isn't always right...but GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Unless you are going to be hatching eggs, then there really isn't a need to separate the roo.

If you do decide to separate the orps into their own pen, be aware that a 1:1 hen/roo ratio may be pretty miserable for your hen. Roosters who only have one girl tend to over-breed her and make her life pretty miserable. Not every time, but more often than not.

So, you may want to get at least 1 or 2 more buff orp girls for your rooster if you decide to keep the breeds separate.

Other than that, the main issue is your neighbors - I say play it by ear. If you have a polite rooster that is not an obsessive compulsive crower, and that doesn't crow before sun-up, you might be fine. A rooster than just crows occasionally is absolutely no worse than a dog that barks when the post man comes, or a stray cat wanders by, etc.

If on the other hand, he ends up being one of these all-day/all-night crowing roos, then it may be best for neighborhood sanity and peace if you rehome him.

4. PRiesen

PRiesen New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    Thank you for the great advice. I think I will give it a go and see how manageable the little guy is....he sure is a doll now! I will certainly add more Buffs to the flock to ensure that the lone hen is not tested beyond her mettle. BTW, I went to your blog and your new puppy is adorable. I have an 11 year old Great Pyrenees and she is a gentle giant.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

If he's a sweet boy why not give him more hens and collect/eat those eggs first? I sure hope you can work this out with the neighbours! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by