i WANTsome EGGS!! Dang it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AllCoop'dUp, Oct 10, 2010.

1. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    I have 1 qty - 29wk old/ 4 qty - 28wk olds/ 3 qty- 24wk olds/ 7 qty- 18 wk olds and dang it if I'm only getting 1 or 2 eggs per day. Some days ZERO!! They are all on Flockraiser as I have mixed ages all together and can't feed them laying pellets. When I got my babies (now 8 weeks old) each of the older girls took turns going broody, but I didn't let them set. So...don't you think with 14 girls all laying age I should be getting more than 0-3 eggs per day?? I mean come on...I go through 50 pounds of feed a week for my flock of 66. Am I not feeding them enough in addition to their free ranging and treats? Any ideas??

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You are also providing them crushed oyster shell, free choice, right? Since you aren't feeding them a layer feed. (I don't feed layer feed to my flock for the exact same reason: too many different ages in the flock.)

3. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    At least your getting some! Be thankful. Some of us are still waiting. [​IMG]

4. rdport

rdport Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Texas
    What breeds are they? I know with the sex-links, we get eggs everyday, but with others not so often, and they have to be older before they start laying.

5. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    At least your getting a few eggs! My Barred Rock and Easter Eggers are going on 30 weeks...still nothing...so sad [​IMG]

6. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    Hang in there. We've only had 3 eggs in the last week. (3 total) from our 21 week old pullets.

I'm sure we will all get more soon (fingers crossed - tightly)

7. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Wow...I guess I shouldn't complain. Yes, they get free choice oyster shell. Breeds: Dorking, Java, EE,SS, BO, Blue Andalusian, Light Brahmas . I also have 2 Cayuga ducks 24 wks old that haven't layed yet either!! In 8 weeks, I'll add layer pellets and keep my fingers crossed that someone will lay through the winter. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by