I was asked to put up this picture..Chicks on Pages 6..New question P7

my two cents.....

could be a "blue" Leghorn, too!

or even a more rare Delaware Blue Hen Rooster?!?!

do a search here of "Delaware Blue Hens" and find the thread titled "New Pics of Delaware Blue Hen...." this thread has pictures of nearly every "Blue" variety out there!

There are Blue Leghorns, Blue Andalusions and Blue Minorcas that ALL have white earlobes. Most of the other "Blue" breeds don't have such large white earlobes.

Since Blue Andalusions are more common than the other two it is more than likely Andalusion......highly unlikey it is a Maran!

just curious.i have some of these eggs incubating right now and the eggs are a beautiful rich brown color(not marans dark).the hens that are pictured have dark lobes.would a white egg layer gene keep them that dark of a brown(i think it would lighten it)?
the egg is a shade darker than my darkest RIR egg.
i don't have any idea what breed he is either but he is beautiful and i am going for egg colors right now,not breeds.

Hello there, I hope the eggs do well. As soon as I remember, I will put up a few pictures of the chicks I hatched out from them. I got I think 4 or 5 blue a white(?????) and black (i think) I hatched out so many GJ, Frizzles, EE and these last month I forgot. Anyways, I should have some more of these eggs in the near future.

I read a while back where Andalusians were used to cross to get the blue feathering in other breeds. Marans included. So your Roo could be a throw back from that crossing. Beautiful birds anyway.
smile.png
P.S. not Penedesenca ither. Pens have a v at the back of their combs,n very gamey looking. i go with the Adualusian in the breeding.

Last edited:
Quote:
But it's not "a" fault, Taz. That bird has lots of things that don't fit a Marans. It's legs are wrong (clean), it's tail is wrong (high tail angle and long sickles), it's build is wrong (not hefty and solid), it's comb is wrong (very tall), and so on. And in all these characteristics, it DOES fit the Andalusian.

That bird has been through at LEAST two people before you, so there's really no telling where it came from. But it isn't a Marans.

I agree with her, it says Andalusian loud and clear to me. As for Marans, they do NOT have white earlobes.

Here are some of the chicks that hatched about a week ago. They are about 3 days old here. The black ones are my JG and the white one is a Leghorn and some Frizzles in there too.

pictures1791.jpg

pictures1793.jpg

pictures1796.jpg

pictures1797.jpg

pictures1800.jpg

pictures1801.jpg

pictures1802.jpg

pictures1803.jpg

Quote:
but what about the brown eggs?

Well if these birds aren't purebred to begin with there could be something in their gene pool that caused them to lay a brown egg instead.

Maybe they're only part Andulasian. Maybe they're half Marans?

Back
Top Bottom