I was hit by a tree!

Oh My Goddess!!!
I'm so glad that you're okay (relatively speaking).
One of the mom's at my DS's elementary school was picking up her kids and her mom came running in and had to tell her that a tree just fell on her husband. The whole tree was on him. They medflighted him into Boston. They couldn't land the copter at that school, so they had to take him by ambulance to a school about a mile away because we were all outside waiting to pick up our kids and there was no place to land.
Thank the Gods, he was fine, but it was really scary for everyone.
Many careful hugs and I'm glad that you have people that can help you out.

Wow. I'm sure you are counting your blessings. That tree probably hit you in the best area. Any higher, and that's head and neck trauma, lower and that's pelvis and internal injuries. I'm very glad you are ok (relatively speaking of course).

From the way you wrote your post, it seems like you are taking everything in stride. I'm also glad that your husband is standing beside you 100%, as husbands should. It really is an experience to have to have someone help you with the most mundane of tasks that we've all been doing since as long as we can remember.

I hope you have a fast and complication free recovery. Get as much rest as you need and listen to your body. Don't try to bounce back too fast as that's how people get re-injured.

When you burn the tree in the fireplace and roast marshmellows, you should take some pictures
smile.png

OMG! I just read this thread. You must have had an Angel with you. Thank goodness you are okay. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jacie

:)WOW ! Isn't it funny how life throws things at you . It seems like it takes something drastic to really put your life into prospective . My mother was in an accident three years ago . Her exhusband and her were riding the four wheeler down our road when a couple of highscool kids came around the corner in the wrong lane around a corner . She broke her leg in 25 places and lost half of the major tendons . That night at the hospital the doctor told me they were going to cut her leg off . Fortunately for her another doctor showed up and tried something different .That doctor is now patenting the deviece he used to keep my mothers leg intact . After three months of laying in a hospital bed, not being able to do anything she finally got moved into a wheel chair . I moved in the first day of the accident and I will tell you that you will never feel shame again after having to have someone wipe you after you go to the bathroom and then see them empty the contents out of the bucket . I did this for my mother and gave her baths , heard her scream out in pain 24/7 because unbekownest to us she was allergic to the metal holding her leg together . I would do ot on a hearbeat again for my mother . She is definetly one tough cookie . Today to the amazement of the doctors she is bendig her leg at 90% . You will recover to 100% if you believe . I have faith !

wow... i came on the byc board today while waiting to hear how my friend is after her motorcycle accident this morning. she has at least a broken leg and knee and needs surgery ... i was trying to distract myself, and boy did it work! that tree episode sounds like something that would happen to me.! .. my dr has even told me "i dont know who you ticked off in your last life but you sure are paying for it in this one!"
hope you are doing well and improving daily. based on my personal experience just keep asking lots of questions about anything that doesnt add up or makes it hurt. best of luck and quick recovery.
oh and enjoy them taking care of you cause it wont last forever.....
hmm.png

Thank goodness you are going to be okay. We lost a friend (36 years old) when a tree he was cutting fell on him last August. It was horrifying. I still worry everytime my DH is out cutting and he's never alone when he does.

Thank you all again for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers - I truly appreciate all of the kind words and support from my chicken friends. I thought I would give you an update on my progress.

When the accident happened, the tree hit my left shoulder and then rested on my left leg. My husband quickly got down from the ladder and lifted the tree off my leg. My left thigh has had 4 scabs and is very swollen and "segmented," but no bones were broken. There is a diagonal crease in my leg about 8 inches long. My doctors kept saying that the swelling will eventually just go down on it's own - reabsorb into my tissue. Well it didn't...Tuesday Oct 9th, one of my wounds on my "good" leg busted open and started draining. I went to my Dr. the next day and he drained a whole bunch of fluid and packed it with medicated tape. My Dr. said that unless it went away overnight which he didn't foresee happening that he wanted to admit me back in the hospital and perform surgery.

Well, it didn't heal overnight, so I was admitted again on Friday the 12th. He did an I&D (Incision and Drainage) and installed an incredible device called a Wound Vac on my leg. Everyone I've talked to says that this wound vac will heal my leg in no time from the inside out. I had to stay in the hospital for 5 more days and got out on Tuesday night the 16th. They were giving me lots of antibiotics through an IV and now there is no sign of infection.

I have a wound care nurse that comes to my home M,W & F to change my dressing and check my progress. So far so good - I don't want to gross everyone out, but the wound vac is basically pulling my muscles/tissue back to where they are suppose to be and the size of the wound has gone down quite a bit in about a week. I'm suppose to eat alot of protein and very little carbs to help promote the healing process.

I'm still unable to lay down (my broken ribs) but I have learned to sleep sitting up with lots of pillows behind me. I've been doing some rehab with my left arm and although I still can't use it yet - I'm improving my range and mobility, the tendons were so tight from being immobile for a month. Everyday I am getting better and will keep getting better.

Thank you all again, for all of your support in my time of healing.

Back
Top Bottom