1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I was interviewed by the paper today, here's the story!!!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by @~rosecityfarmgirl~@, Oct 15, 2010.

1. @~rosecityfarmgirl~@

@~rosecityfarmgirl~@ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Windsor
  2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

You're braver than I am... if I knew I was illegal I would be too chicken to let them post my name and address.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Good job! Nice article.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Good job! Really good job!

Were you nervous?

Imp

5. @~rosecityfarmgirl~@

@~rosecityfarmgirl~@ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Windsor
    Oh, heck yes was I nervous! I mean, my fiance is running for city council right now, and the election is in 10 days. We recently moved into our house, and spent the time and cash to build a coop. Kind of a big deal for us! The first thing the reporter said was "OK, I'm just gonna tape-record you. You're a pretty fast talker" LOL!

I just really, really love my chickens. Besides the eggs they lay.... I'm an animal person, and these birds, esp. my Polish, are such wonderful little pets.
    My argument is, a crime is something that YOU do that affects someone ELSE negatively. It shouldn't be a crime to keep pet birds outside. It shouldn't be a crime to have access to healthy, NON factory-farm eggs. I shouldn't have to settle for eggs full of hormones.

The good news is, it's only a bylaw. The max. fine is $5000 (still, a lot). But at least we have a chance!

6. denim deb

denim deb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Good article! And, I think it's nuts that you can have 80 pigeons, but no chickens! I'd rather have a few hens than even 1 pigeon.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good luck and may God bless.

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Way to go @~rosecityfarmgirl~@ [​IMG] Well done and we're all hoping for the best on your quest.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good luck!
    Yeah.. that makes no sense.. you can have 80 pigeons..but no chickens? Dumb...

10. Danaus29

Danaus29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Great job! I hope it gets through to the people who matter.

I'm allowed to have pigeons too. State law regards them as pets if they are banded. No other livestock including poultry and fur-bearers.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by