I was just accused of being a thief!!!!

Quote:
Is that even legal? Doesn't there have to be a disclaimer or warning or something before they put a HOLD on your funds? When you rent a car you have to sign papers and in the fine print it states that there will be a hold on funds. When you book reservations at a hotel they tell you that your card will be charged that fee to reserve the room....seems fishy that this gas station just DOES it without warning...I think I might look in to it.

Good thing my mother wasnt there, she would have jumped on the cashier and accuse her of teaming up with the other dude just to try to steal 20 bucks from you lol. she would have then prob hire a lawyer FOR YOU and sue her for assault and racism... my mother...tsk tsk

Quote:
Is that even legal? Doesn't there have to be a disclaimer or warning or something before they put a HOLD on your funds? When you rent a car you have to sign papers and in the fine print it states that there will be a hold on funds. When you book reservations at a hotel they tell you that your card will be charged that fee to reserve the room....seems fishy that this gas station just DOES it without warning...I think I might look in to it.

It's actually quite common. The hold is usually for 24 hours, and is released before most people look at their account. It applies more to debit cards than credit cards I think.

Quote:
Believe me I was about ready to jump her myself!! I don't think I could get away with the racism part though. The cashier and I are both the same race.

This is just me and only what I would do. I would continue to use the store. It was bad that the employee handled your situation poorly and all of that but I know that I have made mistakes in the past and I probably even handled some of them poorly. A store that I have been going to for 15 years is obviously a store that I enjoy and ifin the manager handed me a $25 gas card I might think he values my business. I might glare (probably not but I might) at the employee a couple of times. I might just figure that the employee could be a knucklehead (no, not the HD engine guys) and will probably run himself or herself off anyway. Just me. I do hope that you can forgive but if not it is nice to be able to spend your honest hard earned money where you feel like. I love the free market (while we still have one for a few more months).

Quote:
Believe me I was about ready to jump her myself!! I don't think I could get away with the racism part though. The cashier and I are both the same race.

Sad thing is, you can be the same color nowadays, and they still scream race issues.

Sure sounds like the cashier had a thing going on there. I wonder how many times a day she could pull that?

The manager probably couldn't prove what she is up to, and to fire her otherwise would cause even more problems.

A problem employee is really hard to get rid of nowdays. They know all of the laws because they have been through it before. What they steal is minor in comparison to what they can get in a court settlement or an industrial claim.

The employer has to document problems and discuss each of them with the employee. Eventually, the record will justify dismissal.

The best course of action is to never hire a problem employee. Check them out before you make a job offer. Beware of druggies.

Rufus

i wonder if this is what really happened ---

i know of somone who's credit card was billed for gas he didnt get - what really happened is that if you don't press the " clear " button after printing your receipt - that your credit card is still open and the clerk there used his card to get cash .
Maybe this clerk was going to get caught using someone's credit card for $20.. cash - and you just happened to be the next person at the pump?? so try to blame you?

I would seriously look into this ~ People are major scams with credit cards lately, you just have to be SO on your toes ~ this is honestly why my husband refuses to have a credit card. We have never had one. I would go back to that store & explain this to the manager ~ it would behoove him/her to fix it ~ afterall, the monkey is on their back if the employee is thieving.
~Red

edited to add: Actually, you CAN fire problem employees, as long as you do not list specific issues. It has to be a general thing, like "They don't seem to fit in with our company", or " It wasn't a good fit." If you generalize, they cannot do anything about it, however, if you are specific as to the problems, they can pick & fault & take you to court & everything. My husband was an HR Generalist before he went on his own, this was one of his regular duties.
~Red​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom