I was just offered to come pick a friends cherry tree..

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
they said they NEVER EVER pick it..it always goes to the birds/waste...
so he called me and said "If you want to come pick these cherries in the next few days, and do your farmer stuff..LMK...

so I want to go pick them...and I'll pick to my hearts content...FREE fruit?? whats NOT to love! I have a cherry pitter too!

I could just freeze them..but I dont want to take up freezer space...

so I can can them..but what would you make with them/??

Cherry jelly??
Cherry pie filling??

ideas!! TIA!

I know~!~! Normally we pay out the WAZOOOOO for fruit...strawberries/cherries/peaches etc...

but God has smiled upon us and given us our cherries for free this year!!! :)

Is there anything else you would do with the cherries???

I know~!~! Normally we pay out the WAZOOOOO for fruit...strawberries/cherries/peaches etc...

but God has smiled upon us and given us our cherries for free this year!!! :)

Is there anything else you would do with the cherries???
YEP!!! How about wine? That would be yummy, or syrup? Yummy also.

besides eating them fresh until I am sick?

I pit them and freeze them whole and then just eat them, or make ice cream out of them. I used to can them in very light syrup and then I'd use them to make cherry pie or other cherry treats. Or the canned ones can be used in fruit salad. If the syrup is light, you can use it to make drinks with.

I've canned cherry pie filling. I believe that pie filling is no longer recommended as safe. At any rate, if I canned it with my regular pie recipe, it separated. If i used the special corn starch that wouldn't separate, it tasted like commercial pie filling, and I don't want that. I liked my pies better if I canned the cherries plain and then used the canned cherries to make pie with.

My family eats a lot of dried fruit, and cherries dry well.

Cherries can also be made into fruit sauce for roasted meats, or into chutney.

What you do with them depends a lot upon what type of cherries they are. Are they sweet cherries or pie cherries?

You can dry them , you can freeze them , you can can / jar them , you can make them into jam or jelly or syrup , they should stay freash for a little while so you can have them in salads , breads , cakes /cupcakes , maranades for stakes , the possibilites are endless. I hope you have a good time with them mmmm and you can turn them into cherry ice cream.

I love cherries, they are just now showing up in supermarkets here. $5.99 a pound, price wll come down a liitle more into season. Enjoy !!

If you have eggs too you can make Clafoutis - It's like a yummy cherry custard! We made that when we had an excess of cherries last summer!! Boy are they good!

Oh, dry them. They'll last a year, take up minimal space, and when you're making muffins or granola you just grab a handful, rough chop them and throw them in. They're like little bursts of cherry flavored sugar by that point!

If you have eggs too you can make Clafoutis - It's like a yummy cherry custard! We made that when we had an excess of cherries last summer!! Boy are they good!
what?? extra eggs?? never....
gig.gif

(yes always)...

Back
Top Bottom