I was looking out the window towards the chiken pen when I saw it...

moondog425

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
tn
swoop down and grab one of my game hens by the tail feathers, It was a Hawk ! A little bit bigger tha half its size. And the fight was on the two rolled around just a second and my big white roo came running to them and flgged and pecked like something wild! the Hawk got loose or let go and flew away. I sat out there with my 4-10 for an hour or so wiyh no sight of the Hawk. All of my birds seem to be ok, no blood and everybody is eating and drinking. They are still in a huddle but i have seen them stay that way for hours before. Just glad I didnt lose any this time.I lost two about a six/eight weeks ago,But they were alot smaller then....
D.gif

Too bad you didn't get it on video! I'm glad your birds are okay. The one that was caught wasn't injured at all?

I cuold'nt find anything on her, no blood just a few feathers missing but she is really skittish right now, hiding in a nesting box. I have checked all of them preety good and don't feel any thing out of the normal......Thanks for asking......
Quote:

You sound like me I have 2 guns in my golf cart. I don't have a roo. I will kill any predator that try's to harm my chicks. I don't relocate .

Careful about shooting hawks they're federally protected--you'll not only pay a hefty fine but lose that .410.

My brother once witnessed a Game Rooster kill a Red-Tailed hawk in a similar encounter. I have seen my Buckeye Rooster run & chase off a hungry, young juvenile Cooper's Hawk that was after my Bantam hen. A brave, large rooster is worth having around. I let two out with my free ranging flock. I let the older rooster keep his long spurs as well (they look like long daggers). He is gentle around people but would protect his hens against a predator.

Back
Top Bottom