I was surprised to be the father of a baby chick.

JoCoKS

Chirping
May 13, 2019
I was really lucky to join a really great fraternity were everyone really cared for each other and did everything they could to help a brother not like the fraternity house on the news who booze up pledges and hazed them. When you needed help with something you knew you could it and that is why I came back from class on a windy day at the University of Kansas in Lawrence and got a surprise when I went to comb my hair. There was chicken wire in front of our built-in chest of drawers and a baby chick running around in the now fenced area. When my roommate got back I asked him if that was something he had to tell me and said no so neither of us had any idea how we became dad’s to a baby chick. The next morning we went to class as usual and came back to find our baby chick had a baby chick friend. We did what any city boys would do and cared for them but no one knows how they got there. Later one of our brothers came and asked if he could see his baby chicks so we got the story of the chicks from a pre-med student “who had to hatch and egg and got stressed out worrying what was going to happen to his baby.” So he brought it back to the house in his coat pocket to save it from the unknown. That explained the first baby chick so we asked why the second baby chick and he said he was worried the little one would get lonely so he grabbed another one the next day to keep it happy. (Don was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.) So asked why us, he said it was because I told the story of my Henrietta Cluck and figured I knew what to do and I really did not because she was a full grown chicken when she came walking up the sidewalk in front of our home in Kansas City, MO. So we all cared for our new baby chicks like proud fathers till we could no longer keep them on our chest of drawers and they went exploring the entire house leaving a message they had been there on the floor every where. At first the guys dodged the problems and we tried to keep the mess cleaned up but they went too far. They went into a shower to help the guys get cleaned up and got up on desks leaving calling cards as they went got up on the fluorescent light fixtures over the desks and bombed anything and everything below. That was when we got an order the chickens had to go. We had a white rooster and a black hen and I got the honor of taking them home with me.

I went all over the city looking for some big books to take them home on a Friday night and only found one box big enough for both in to sit next to each other. When I got home to our home now in the burbs of Kansas I could not find a bigger box to put them in and found I had a problem especially since it was late and my beloved parents went to bed. I was sitting in our Family Room and my eye caught the fireplace and I thought I could keep them over night so I cleaned it out and put newspapers on the base and put the chickens in and went to bed. My bedroom was above our Family Room and the next morning I heard my German mother raised her voice (very unusual) to tell father, “Poppa gibt es Hühner in unserem Kamin!” English: Poppa there are chickens in our fire place! My father replied, „Katharina sie verrückt sind wir nicht haben Hühner im Kamin!” English: Katharina you are crazy we cannot have chickens in the fire place! Mother replied again, “Poppa gibt es Hühner in unserem Kamin!“ Then my father obviously went to the Family Room because I heard him yell, “Joseph Ernst kommen Sie hier!” Formal tone so I know I was in trouble again. English: Joseph Ernst come here!

I went down to our Family Room and saw my parents bent to look in the fireplace so I had to tell them of my venture. My father kept the chickens as pets; I even have a picture with one on his lap as he petted the chicken.

Back
Top Bottom