I was surprised to find a rooster in my brood of ladies...

jrwillden

Chirping
Feb 3, 2020
So I bought some chicks that were suppose to be females but I found out that wasn't true. I have a rooster. 8 hens and 1 rooster. I'm not opposed to the idea of having him but I'm not sure what I need to expect from him....Please keep in mind I know nothing.

• Do you just let them go on about their business or does he need to be separated at some point (I'm thinking like with horse or cattle.) I know some are aggressive; which at 4 1/2 months he hasn't shown signs of that but I also know he is not fully matured.
  • Are there concerns with him fertilizing eggs for all the hens or is there an issue with cross breeding?
  • And what about breeding...if he fertilizes some eggs and they hatch, are the chicks safe with their mother? Do they have to be separated?
I actually have other questions but I thought maybe you guys know a good link for beginners that got a rooster accidentally and has no idea what to do with him...

you don't have to separated the rooster from the hens, it's not often that there aggressive to there hens. when you have young chicks you should keep them separated from the adults until they can defend them selfs.

What breed(s) do you have? Since you are a newbie to chickens, photos might be helpful. One rooster for eight hens should work well under normal circumstances.
I only have a few pics with me...

Attachments

• 20200202_223618.jpg
    20200202_223618.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200202_230037.jpg
    20200202_230037.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20200202_230819.jpg
    20200202_230819.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200202_230727.jpg
    20200202_230727.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 51
I'm not sure of their breed...I posted in that forum and was told he was probably a type of Easter Egger. I know I have 3 brown hawk-looking EE but not sure the other ones.

Based on the photos it appears you have a larger breed rooster with mostly medium to large breed hens so you should be okay with one caveat. His trying to mate with the smaller Polish hen (with crest) might cause some angst. But you should see my Bantam Red Pyle rooster try to mate with much larger Calico Princess hens; now that is a hoot.

Based on the photos it appears you have a larger breed rooster with mostly medium to large breed hens so you should be okay with one caveat. His trying to mate with the smaller Polish hen (with crest) might cause some angst. But you should see my Bantam Red Pyle rooster try to mate with much larger Calico Princess hens; now that is a hoot.
😄

Back
Top Bottom