I was surprised to find a rooster in my brood of ladies...

I also have 16 Bantam hens in a separate flock and there are four Crele ones that I will probably cross with him at some point. That cross should make some beautiful birds. Right now he is loving life with the "big" girls, especially the Polish. He just mated with her again and promptly flew up on the coop and crowed several times. He is something else.
Here are some photos of Little Buck and his ladies:

Red Pyle Bantam Rooster (12-29-19).jpg
Red Pyle Bantam Rooster & his lady friends (12-29-19).jpg
Polish Hen (12-29-19).jpg
Red Pyle Bantam Rooster & his lady friends (12-29-19).jpg

My old roo 10 yrs is larger but this little fellow respects him and they live in peace. I had 2 gorgeous Cochin bantam Roos hatch last year and I was so hoping they’d all get along, came home one day and found my lil OEGB near dead so we had to take care of the Cochins. I bet this lil OEGB actually started it too. Here is my old guy Rufus
715F93D5-8A4D-4F2F-843B-03FB2628E010.jpeg

I have 7 roosters, 5 in my large coop and 2 in my small one. At one time, I had 11 but 5 were in a rooster pad til I sold or gave away a few. I had 3 bantams amongst them too. Now my one bantam was a tyrant with the all the other boys. I found him dead one morning but no one was talking as to who did it. Typically they all get along great but on occasion the alpha roosters from each coop briefly misbehave, usually last a few minutes. They're just re-establishing the pecking order, one RIR is the main alpha (lg coop) over both coops and black Australorp (small coop) kinda is the co-alpha with him. I've seen them both setting the other roosters straight when they get out of hand. Right now I have 47 hens (it seems if one passes, I always lose two more within a week), I lost a duck hen and 2 of my oldest hen in the last week. My girl named Boss Lady (R.I.P.) passed yesterday from a massive prolapse. Now she was the one who really ruled the coops, even the roosters! I have 6 young pullets that are still housed in the nursery that I got in November. Until the first egg, they I keep them separated. I actually get more squabbles from my hens over food, nests and even roosting bars than from my boys.

Now I can hold all 7 roosters, some I can grab right up easily, others are easier to grab while on roost. The key is to hold them often so they get used to being handled. My Amberlink/black Australorp mix and my Cuckoo Marans boys are the ones that are easier to hold once on roost. They're a bit wilder than my other 5. I also have 3 drakes and 2 duck hens (lost my 4 yr old last week)

Pictured are all 7 of my roosters (yellow dots) and most of my hens. Also all 5 of my ducks.
20200208_093425.jpg

2 RIR (4yr), Black Australorp (4yr), buff Orpington (4yr), Amberlink/black Australorp mix (3yr), Cuckoo Maran (almost 3 yrs) and a buff Brahma (8 months).

Last edited:
My old roo 10 yrs is larger but this little fellow respects him and they live in peace. I had 2 gorgeous Cochin bantam Roos hatch last year and I was so hoping they’d all get along, came home one day and found my lil OEGB near dead so we had to take care of the Cochins. I bet this lil OEGB actually started it too. Here is my old guy RufusView attachment 2021208
Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Back
Top Bottom