I was told that these were 2 females and a male ????

I dont know how to tell by looking except for speckled cheasts on some. I just wanted to say that it looks like its about time to trim those beaks. I am guessing they are caged above ground and when they are, they dont have the ground to peck at which can make beaks longer and sharper. The male can really hurt the females durring mating if it is too sharp.

Quote:
From the reading that I've done on about a million different quail sites, I've noticed a lot of confusion surrounding the names of different colors. Pharaoh can refer to the size of the quail, meaning smaller vs. jumbo, or it can be another name for the brown or wild color, which is the common dark on top and light on bottom. This should not be confused with the chocolate/Tibetan/British Range color which covers the entire bird. (In yet another bizarre twist, the British sometimes call this darker color "American" Range.)

Whites can be either Texas A&Ms, which are white-meat birds, or the much rarer English Whites, which provided the genetic material for the A&Ms. Manchurian Golden and Tuxedos are the other two most common colors. There are many mutations in these quail and many other colors available on a more limited basis that may or may not carry on to their offspring.

Right now I have Pharaoh and Tibetan colored quail, but I have nearly a hundred quail eggs in the incubator right now that will hopefully give me some of each of the major colors except for the English Whites.

I'm gonna say all males! Here is a picture of my birds. As you can see the males have a more dominant mask and the females have a little brown colored head. I will try to get close up pictures of my males and females and post them tonight for you to compare them too.

36179_norhtern_jumbo_2.jpg

Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr. :

I dont know how to tell by looking except for speckled cheasts on some. I just wanted to say that it looks like its about time to trim those beaks. I am guessing they are caged above ground and when they are, they dont have the ground to peck at which can make beaks longer and sharper. The male can really hurt the females durring mating if it is too sharp.

HUH?

THOSE ARE NORMAL BOB WHITES...​

Kwartel --- "From the reading that I've done on about a million different quail sites, I've noticed a lot of confusion surrounding the names of different colors. Pharaoh can refer to the size of the quail, meaning smaller vs. jumbo, or it can be another name for the brown or wild color, " TRUE

"Whites can be either Texas A&Ms, which are white-meat birds," NOT TRUE! THERE ARE NO WHITE MEAT COTURNIX--- THE TEXAS A&M WAS BRED FOR FAST SIZE AND LIGHTER COLORED MILDER TASTING FLESH--- ALSO THE ORIGINAL TEXAS A&M WAS BROWN OR PHAROAH COLORED BIRD "or the much rarer English Whites, which provided the genetic material for the A&Ms."

THE ENGLISH WHITES WERE USED AFTER THE A&M'S DESIGN TO "TWEAK" THE BIRDS TO AN ALL WHITE OR NEARLY ALL WHITE BODY COLOR FOR MARKET PREFERENCE BY A TOTALLY DIFFERENT INDIVIDUAL AFTER THE A&M HAD BEEN RELEASED TO PRODUCTION FACILITIES--- THE CHANGE WAS MADE BY A LARGE PRODUCTION FACILITY FOR A "CLEANER APPERANCE AND EASIER PICKED CARCASS."

I stand corrected. I see that it was Dr. Lee Cartwright who took Dr. Thornberry's Texas Gourmet quail and crossed it to create the white quail now known as Texas A&Ms.

http://agnewsarchive.tamu.edu/dailynews/stories/POSC/Mar0905a.htm

I have only heard their meat described as "white" so it is good to know that the little devils have been misleading me. I'm hoping to find out for myself in a few weeks when I have some ready to process.
wink.png

To The Op....

Baby Bobs Start Out With Dark Brown And Light Brown Striped Heads At Hatch, They Remain That Way Without Change In The Hens And The Males The The Light Brown Stripes Slowly Turn White. In My Experience In Bobs Any White Striping On The Head = Males Once Mature. I Think All Your Kids Pictured Here Are Boyz.

Back
Top Bottom