I was told that these were 2 females and a male ????

Mountain Sunshine

Songster
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Cleveland, Georgia
When I got these adorable little bob whites they were 2 females and 1 male. Now, I am thinking that they are are females. What do you all think?

43442_dscn4088.jpg

43442_dscn4087.jpg

43442_dscn4086.jpg

Yep, Them's Bobs Alright!

As Far As Sex If The Seller Can Accurately Sex Them At This Age By Looking He Needs To Bottle That Stuff And Offer It For Sale! Because I Have Been Dealing With Them In 1 Strain Or Another For Quite A Long Time And From Your Pix All I Can Say Is Too Soon To Tell.

I've just starteding breeding hem for a couple weeks now and what I was told with BW's on the males they have a white strip over each eye. Mine do anyway. Other than that, they look the same to me. I bought several breeding trios along with a mixed bunch of chicks that are almost old enough to start laying and I hve cinnamons, cortunix BW, and I think there is a tuxedo or two in there and some pharoh which from what I understand are tennessee red quail, a wild breed and there are 2 white ones with black spot on their heads. I think they are texas A&M's, not sure. I to out several of the cinnamons and cortunix for breeding and the rest will go to freezer camp. I have an incubator full of BW eggs. I'll switch them out when they get old enough to breed and send the older ones to freezer camp too.

I need to google the texas A&M and see if that is what they are. I traded a young man for all his quail he had. I even took the ones that where ready to stop laying, non fertile ladies. They where the first to attend freezer camp. Then we invited them for supper. They where really nice guests.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
UM I HATE TO TELL YOU THIS, BUT UNLESS THEY WERE COLD AND DEAD COTURNIX DONT STOP LAYING. ALSO TN REDS ARE A STRAIN OF BOB WHITE.

There where eggs in their cages but they had spent their year laying and it was time to retire them. They didn't have males in with them. He just hadn't had time to put them in the freezer. I just didn't know how to put it when I first posted.
Please, don't hate to tell me anything, I'm new with quail and need to learn all I can. I have 3 breeds set up for breeding and the others are waiting on death row. If those white ones get big like the other 3 and I at least have a pair I may put them in a cage for breeding instead of death row.

Thats what they are, Texas A & M's. But I don't know if I have a pair. What I fould says that the male is smaller than the female and didn't say any other way to tell. Does anybody know? I only have 2. Hopefully I have a pair and I have 2 incubators. I can have more.

I thought that "Pharoah" is just another name for Coturnix. I'm no expert on quail though. My Coturnix I can tell sex by chest once feathered. Females have white spots and males do not.

I kina go by the shape of the head and the patch under the throat hens will start to get the brown fairly early right at/on there jowls males tend to have a blockier/squareish head that being said yours are a bit young this is more of the guessing what it is stage.

Back
Top Bottom