Do male Button quail live longer than females?

The Birb King

Bird is the word
Dec 10, 2022
Earth
I've been raising Button quail for 2 years now, and I never had any males die, only females. So I still have my 4 original males that are now 2 years old, but my 3 original females died a few months ago. I have 3 younger females that are doing well, but why do the females seem so much more fragile than the males?

I lost a lot more females than males when I was raising buttons. It usually seemed to happen when I forgot to make sure they had plenty of calcium, but that is not necessarily the cause, just a guess on my part.

Laying eggs can put a lot of stress on a body, so I'm guessing that that is why the hens are so much more fragile.

I lost a lot more females than males when I was raising buttons. It usually seemed to happen when I forgot to make sure they had plenty of calcium, but that is not necessarily the cause, just a guess on my part.

Laying eggs can put a lot of stress on a body, so I'm guessing that that is why the hens are so much more fragile.
Yea that's what I thought too, laying eggs every day must take a lot out of them. Last year I forgot to give them calcium for a few weeks and I lost 2 females. Now they always have a dish of oyster shell and sometimes I feed their eggshells back to them.

Back
Top Bottom