I was wondering if anyone know what kind of new chicken I got today.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by punkgirrl, Sep 22, 2008.

1. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    When we started our flock, we got a RIR hen and roo, and Barred rock and buff Orpington hens. They had obviously not been handled much, cuz they are still skittish, but I'd say on the whole, pretty sweet birds. My roo is huge, but he's laid back as can be. My 3 yo son runs around in the pen, and he doesn't get upset, so I'd say that's a good sign. And my red was my most reliable layer. She died a couple of months ago from being egg bound or something:0(

You might have a black sex link with #3, but probably Easter Egger, and #1 is probably cochin, #2 probably RIR, but I'm no expert. Good luck

Holy chickens Batman!

2. clevando

clevando Hatching

Sep 23, 2008
    I'm really new to chickens. What does RIR mean? I got some chicks today that are 'standard run' so I don't know what kind they are. They guy said he thought they were ISA Brown and meat chickens... Any idea where I can find pictures of chicks online to compare?

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    RIR stands for Rhode Island red [​IMG]

4. clevando

clevando Hatching

Sep 23, 2008
    Well I guess I can rule out the RIR as one of them that I got. Mine are pretty peachy/rust color with some stripping on them. Some are just plain yellow chicks too. I'm guessing that those are the meat chickens. Not sure I'll be able to eat them though...

5. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    Clevando, google ISA brown chickens and see what you get, not sure what exactly they are....Meat birds are *usually* cornish or cornish cross.
    Good luck [​IMG]

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:i just got 3 rhode island red roo's 9 months old,, their pretty sweet,,,well 1 was dinner tonight heh ,, but the other 2 dont want to be caught, but love to be held,, and i stuck 1 of them in with my baby rirs i just got,, and he'll let them take food right out of his mouth hehe. and they have never been around chicks before,, and he loves my 2 girls petting him.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That is so sweet the1much! I wish mine were as friendly! I have 8 (yes i said 8) OEGB red pyle cockerels, that you would practically step on, as long as you aren't trying to touch them. It is ok for THEM to walk on my feet, but God forbid I try to pick them up!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: