I was wondering if chickens can associate bad things with people?

daChicBu-GI

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2020
So I recently got some ISA brown hens and they are currently very scared of me, I tried to pick them up but they easily escaped my grasp . I’m just wondering if this is going to ruin my relationship with them or will they just forget about it? Thank you!

I wish I had a better answer.

I'll let some of the experts talk.

But for me it seems my ducks are more social than my chickens. I don't know if chickens can be social. And even my ducks associate seeing me and socializing with me as 'time for treats', not actual friendliness.

Thank you all for your help I will take your advice and hopefully my chickens will trust me!:bow:wee

So I recently got some ISA brown hens and they are currently very scared of me, I tried to pick them up but they easily escaped my grasp . I’m just wondering if this is going to ruin my relationship with them or will they just forget about it? Thank you!
How old are they?
How long have you had them?
Chickens are not like kittens and puppies, most don't really like to be handled.
It can be done with lots of time and patience.
Start slow and just sit near them, read a book, toss out a few treats once in while.
Visit frequently, without treats, just to get them used to you being around.

They are 17 weeks old and I have had them for a couple of days now.
You may have a tougher time "taming" those ladies, as they are already set in their ways. They're not likely to ever be "lap chickens," but time, patience and sitting quietly with treats at your feet (mealworms on your shoes and scratch all around you!) will go a long way towards their accepting you. If you always greet them with the same sound ... a specific whistle or a sing-song call they can recognize ... then feed them or give them treats, they'll come to associate the sound (and eventually, you,) with good things, too. It's pretty satisfying to see them come scrambling when you call ... even when you know it's really all about the food!

Back
Top Bottom