I was wondering what the Egg Song sounded like . . . .

PlymouthRocker

Songster
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Plymouth County MA
and this morning I knew it when I heard it! (I bet it's on the Top 40 here at BYC.)

I said to my daughter, "I think one of the girls is laying an egg! Listen to the Egg Song." We listened for a few moments at the back door, then scurried to put on our chicken coop shoes. I said, "Let's get some scratch for them as a treat since they haven't had any all week." We got the scratch from the garage and the Song was still going strong. We opened the gate to the run and one of the Buff Orps flew out - - -she has a huge red comb and I knew I'd find an egg. I checked in the new wood nesting box. Nope. Checked one of the antique galvanized nesting boxes. Nope. Checked the other antique box. YUP!! My daughter's eyes got HUGE. I don't know who was more excited. I ran for the camera and took some pics and she said, "Let's make breakfast!" She got a frying pan, sprayed it with Pam, cracked the egg and ate it within 5 minutes of us getting it from the box.

How cool is that?! You all are pros at this, but we are brand new and it's so exciting!

Will post pics later.

D.gif
Congrats!
D.gif

Usually when I get home from work, I'm greeted by the egg song from one of the girls in the sideyard. I too wondered what it sounded like before the girls started laying. Then when you hear it, you know what it is. Congrats!
wink.png

This is our first egg and I'm so geeked that the excitement doesn't fade. We've been waiting for 21 weeks for our first reward for housing these girls and it's so worth it.

Back
Top Bottom