I will have a difficult decision to make.

theoldchick

The Chicken Whisperer
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
May 11, 2010
Zombie Cockatiel The Living Dead has developed a head tilt that is affecting his quality of life. Soon, I will have to do the final act of kindness to honor the incredibly long life he lived.

57171_100_2384.jpg

Aww..poor little guy! Wonder what it could be??
sad.png

How come hes lost his feathers on his face?? Scratching?? Could he have mites?

Last edited:
No mites, he's a rescue bird who outlived his owner and I've had him for 15 years. His baldness is from being plucked as a younger bird. When I got him he was severely picked because he was blind and deaf and could not defend himself from the other birds he had been placed with in his original home. As the years passed with me, he gradually grew more feathers in.

Poor old man! Hes been blessed to have you take care of him for the last 15 yrs....
hugs.gif

Oh no! Poor Zombie Cockatiel. Seeing 'tiels in distress breaks my heart faster than anything... probably because I've had them all my life.

No matter what happens, thank you for giving him a quality life while he was in your care!

I remember previously reading his story. I know nothing about head tilt. I would call your vet possibly. YOU are a great bird owner, very passionate! Whatever you decide, i know it will come from your heart.

My Avian vet ( an ex-boss) has always been amazed to see this bird is still living. She elected to do nothing because handling a bird at this age may cause his death. He still eats, grooms, and does his morning shrieks ( chirps actually). Although he still has his balance, he does swing his head about sorta like Stevie Wonder. His red nares is caused by blood collecting to that area as he holds his head at the angle seen in the photo. He's not sneezing or scratching at his face. However, he has changed his perching position, and will sit in his food trough to rest his head against the cage.

When the end is near I will sedate him, and then give an injection of euthanasia solution. He will simply stop breathing. Poor little fella has always been a trooper.

Your kind words are greatly appreciated.

57171_100_2387.jpg

I am so sorry about this little guy. I know how hard it is to make these decisions and have been there myself. God bless this little bird and you also for giving him a wonderful life. So sorry.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom