I will have a difficult decision to make.

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by theoldchick, May 15, 2011.

1. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Zombie Cockatiel The Living Dead has developed a head tilt that is affecting his quality of life. Soon, I will have to do the final act of kindness to honor the incredibly long life he lived.

[​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Aww..poor little guy! Wonder what it could be?? [​IMG]
    How come hes lost his feathers on his face?? Scratching?? Could he have mites?

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    No mites, he's a rescue bird who outlived his owner and I've had him for 15 years. His baldness is from being plucked as a younger bird. When I got him he was severely picked because he was blind and deaf and could not defend himself from the other birds he had been placed with in his original home. As the years passed with me, he gradually grew more feathers in.

4. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    So sorry, any idea of how old he is? Just know the last 15 years he has been well loved and taken care of.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Poor old man! Hes been blessed to have you take care of him for the last 15 yrs.... [​IMG]

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Poor boy. Are his nares swollen and a little red? Do you think he could have an infection of some kind?

7. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Oh no! Poor Zombie Cockatiel. Seeing 'tiels in distress breaks my heart faster than anything... probably because I've had them all my life.

No matter what happens, thank you for giving him a quality life while he was in your care!

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I remember previously reading his story. I know nothing about head tilt. I would call your vet possibly. YOU are a great bird owner, very passionate! Whatever you decide, i know it will come from your heart.

9. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    My Avian vet ( an ex-boss) has always been amazed to see this bird is still living. She elected to do nothing because handling a bird at this age may cause his death. He still eats, grooms, and does his morning shrieks ( chirps actually). Although he still has his balance, he does swing his head about sorta like Stevie Wonder. His red nares is caused by blood collecting to that area as he holds his head at the angle seen in the photo. He's not sneezing or scratching at his face. However, he has changed his perching position, and will sit in his food trough to rest his head against the cage.

When the end is near I will sedate him, and then give an injection of euthanasia solution. He will simply stop breathing. Poor little fella has always been a trooper.

Your kind words are greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry about this little guy. I know how hard it is to make these decisions and have been there myself. God bless this little bird and you also for giving him a wonderful life. So sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by