I Will Never Use An Egg Carton To Hatch In Again

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sugar Sand Farm, May 17, 2010.

1. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I decided to try using an egg carton in the hatcher this time as I had alot of eggs and didnt want the chicks rolling the eggs around. I cut the bottoms out of the tray and placed the eggs in it. The chicks started hatching alright but I found several got stuck in the egg still in the carton. Then one really large egg the chick zipped and could not get out of the carton he was stuck upside down and kept peeping. I kept trying to see who was making all the noise. I finally took the top of the incubator off and found this poor little guy stuck upside down. I quickly took him out and placed him on a damp paper towel. As soon as the egg was clear of the carton he pushed himself out of the egg. I also had 2 splay legs this time because they were not on a flat surface. It did keep the eggs from rolling around but I had to intervene too many times to help the chicks stuck in the carton wholes. Next time I will go back to laying the eggs on the flat surface.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I tried the egg carton method too and just didn't like it, so I just lay them on their sides.

3. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    Thank you both for posting and I'm sorry for your experiences. I'm just starting to build my own incubator and was planning to use an egg carton with bottoms cut out for the hatching eggs. I won't be doing that now!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've always used modified egg cartons without problems. I cut them way short just so they are big enough to hold the egg at an angle. Like I said, no problems.

Sounds like you didn't cut your cartons down enough.

5. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    I also use egg flats (2 1/2 doz. ones) never had a problem [​IMG]

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Carton method worked well for me

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Yup, I agree. Ive always used them without any problems.

8. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I always use egg cartons for my big duck eggs (with the sides cut down a bit) and I've never had a problem. [​IMG]

9. eggsited chickens

eggsited chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    I've used it too, and it worked great. I cut them down to 1/2 or more their original height

10. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I use the foam cartons for that I feel like the cardboard ones would absorb moisture. sometimes I do get a sticky egg stuck but not too often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by