I Will Not Open The Bator...

Chickie Mamma

Farmer at Heart
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Sherman, CT
Hello, I have a staggered hatch going on in my incubator. 2 are out and none of the others are pipped yet. Is it safe if none of the others are pipped yet, can I snatch the 2 out to put them in the brooder. I know humidity is an issue, but if I can get it up fast again, with no other pips, would it be ok? I have 5 other eggs due tomorrow and they are getting knocked around a bit. Thanks for any replys!!

hey there--Your supposed to wait until the 2 are dried off to put in bator-they are fine to leave in there for a long time-they aren't hungry either-or shouldn't be for a while..I would wait--how long have they been in there?

It doesn't matter "how fast you can get humidity back up." It doesn't have to to with ambient humidity in the air, it has to do with the egg itself. Introducing cold air into the incubator sucks the humidity out from the inside of the shell. So even though you get "it back up in a hurry," the damage to the inside of the shell has already been done.

If you absolutely have no other choice, get the chicks out as quickly as possible, and mist the other eggs before you shut the incubator.

Quote:
Thanks... I have never had a staggered hatch before, but the PO couldn't find one of my boxes for 2 days. I had them all shipped the same day. I will leave them in another day or 2. In the still air, the temp is between 101 and 102.. Is that too hot for the 2 babies to stay in? I know the brooder should be at about 95.. I don't want them to overheat either. Thanks!!

Quote:
Hey, how is everyone?? I know.. I am supposed to leave them in, but I don't know if the others will hatch in time (due late tomorrow). I have actually been very patient this time around. I was actually able to go to sleep last night. No nose to bator for hours
gig.gif
Its so exciting to get new babies. What happened with your hatch? Anything? I have had such problems in the past, but I like challenges!
thumbsup.gif

my 1st hatch bombed-out of 38-nothing! but I think alot had to do with being so new-non fertile eggs-etc...I have a ton of silkie eggs coming in today/tomorrow!!! yeah cannot wait to try again!!! I have 3 of my own eggs in bator from 2 days ago-and I thinkI will have to bump them out to fit all the others coming--I over ordered to make sure I had enough-just incase shipping went bad/broken eggs/non-fertile ones-so out of 50+ I bet by week 1 Im down by 15-like I said If I get 10 to hatch out -out of all of them..I'll be one happy mamma!!!!

MY last hatch I took a couple of chicks out early and one ended up getting brooder pneumonia. Even though my brooder was up to temp, he still must have chilled. No chicks come out of the incubator for twenty four hours after hatch this time. They are do to hatch tomorrow, I can't wait.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry to hear about 38 eggs!!
hit.gif
Hopefully you will have better luck next time! I hate my still air incubator. The temps are never very stable. Humidity too. I have 2 different thermometers and hygrometers in there and I am just taking the average between the 2. Very frustrating, but I guess I had it pretty accurate for them to hatch on their due date. I will leave them in there overnight and hopefully the others will hatch tonight too..
fl.gif

We are in the same boat!! I have 3 thermometers that I use and 2 hygrometers--my still air is NEVER stable--I should have listened to everyone and bought a genesis 1588? I bought the hovabator 1602 with turner---I will sell that next year and buy the better one! or heck I might go for the sportsman! Nooo I'd be divorced but I can dream..
D.gif
jumpy.gif
bun.gif

I'm using still air Hova Bator and the adjustment seems so sensitive it is driving me crazy especially since I don't have a turner.

When adjusting the "dial" on top there is a lot of play where that wing nut is concerned. If you don't keep the exact same degree of tightness each time you adjust then the temp will be all over the place. I've tested my theory by tightening and loosening the wing nut right at the spot where the switch goes on/off and it does have an effect...at least that is what I think I'm seeing.

Has anyone else noticed this ???

Back
Top Bottom