I won the rooster lottery

mrswalker

Chirping
May 7, 2020
Last spring I bought 4 "sexed" day old chicks that turned out to ALL be roos. A hen hatched out two more babies, got two more roos. Finding homes for them took well into the summer and meant hours and hours of driving all over the place to their new homes.

BUT. NOW.

One of my hens hatched a clutch of 12 babies in late October, and I've realized that out of all those babies, I only have TWO cockerels! Just TWO! I'm absolutely BESIDE MYSELF with that ratio. This is the first time I can keep every single chick I have, and (between the pullets and the fully grown hens I already have) I don't have to worry about the roo/hen ratio, for once!

(And they are all beauuuuutiful EE/RIR crosses. STUNNING.)

I know if anyone understands my joy, it'll be you all :)

**Edited to add photos - these are ALL the same ages from the same parents! And there are still more not pictured!**

EE Babies.jpeg

71733C00-F72C-483D-9A3B-3F42E80D20BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Last spring I bought 4 "sexed" day old chicks that turned out to ALL be roos. A hen hatched out two more babies, got two more roos. Finding homes for them took well into the summer and meant hours and hours of driving all over the place to their new homes.

BUT. NOW.

One of my hens hatched a clutch of 12 babies in late October, and I've realized that out of all those babies, I only have TWO cockerels! Just TWO! I'm absolutely BESIDE MYSELF with that ratio. This is the first time I can keep every single chick I have, and (between the pullets and the fully grown hens I already have) I don't have to worry about the roo/hen ratio, for once!

If you know who laid the eggs the girls came from, I would definitely hatch more of those. Females are the ones who decide the sex in poultry, and like every other animal, some lean more one gender than the other

If you know who laid the eggs the girls came from, I would definitely hatch more of those. Females are the ones who decide the sex in poultry, and like every other animal, some lean more one gender than the other
I wish I could, but she's no longer with us :( She was killed defending one of her babies from the older hens. I miss her so much.

BUT. NOW.

**Edited to add a photo of some of my favorites.**

View attachment 2987324
They are GORGEOUS! I need one!

Back
Top Bottom