I wonder if Wh. Leghorns more nervous than Campbell ducks?

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
Wondering about getting some leg. this year.

I know they are skittish, and that turns me off. But just how skittish? If they are miserable to work with (I will CLIP their wings, btw) i am not sure about getting them.

Khaki Campbell ducks are among the most skittish of the standard sized breeds (and also the best of all layers, including chickens, btw) The first three months with the campbells were pretty 'trying'. But they really calmed down over time.

I wonder if the legs. would do the same if i ordered some.

Have you raised Leg. before, and are they miserably 'wild'?

Last edited:
Sorry, but I always hear they're flighty, on practically every scenario.

Go with Sex Links or Black Australorps - In fact it was the Australorp with the record high of egg production.
wink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwA5M3-dAXo

these
babies do not look too too nervous.

You gotta remember: I have worked successfully with Campbell ducks!! And they are considered to be among the most nervous. Yet what sweeties they became!! Ducks--standard sized--are always more skittish than most chickens. It might almost be EASY working with 'skittish' chooks.

I have one among 4 other hens. the leghorn may be a little skittish, but not so much that i can't walk near her, touch her, and pick her up. in addition to that, she is my best egg layer

I can't speak to the hens, but I can tell you my White Leghorn roosters were flighty, aggressive and MEAN.
Having said that, if you can deal with their stupid mean temperament, they were the best flock protectors I've ever owned.
Just my two cents.

hey that's great. i want nasty flock protectors, believe it or not.

and your nice pullets alice and fetherz............very nice to hear about.

Like i said, my campbell ducks became calm, but i could have NEVER even touched--much less picked up--most of them....

Last edited:
My leghorns and campbell ducks are not really tame...but they aren't particularly spazzy. I actually have a campbell drake that was hatched by a gamehen, and will let you hold him without fuss---most of the time.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom