I wonder Why?????

Delta2 23

Flock Master
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
You know how you get all that info on the internet about how to care for chicks and chickens, I wonder why none of it actually applies to me.

- there is the rule about don't let your chicks outside till their fully featherd and keep an eye out for predators.
As soon as Feathers and Eggie were two weeks old we let them free range and didn't really need to keep an eye on them. they were fine.

- there's also what says about putting marbles in the waterer to stop chicks drowning. I never did and we have the HUGEST bowl and the chicks never drowned.

- i heard something about never feeding your chicken grass cuttings. Ours ate about a thousand huge pieces of long grass and they were fine.

- heat lamps. Ours never had heat lamps since we got them (two weeks old). they were fine

there's plenty more.
I dunno. what are your thoughts?

You asked for thoughts, and although this is not Random Ramblings, I'll ramble a bit.

The information put out are guidelines, not necesarily hard and fast rules. People have learned over the years what increases their odds of success. It doesn't mean that if you don't follow them that disaster is bound to occur. Take the water thing. Chicks do drown or get wet, chill, and die. It does not mean that every chick will drown unless you use a restrictive watering method. It doesn't mean that most will. Often, none will. It means it does happen and you can take steps to prevent it.

There are good reasons to separate a broody from the flock. If you don't separate does not mean that eggs will be broken or the hen will get confused and go to the wrong nest. These things will seldom if ever happen to some people, but often happen to others. In my opinion, set-up, management practices, and breed (or strains of breeds) are probably contributing factors. I'm sure there are others. But these things do happen and some people take measures to minimize them happening. There are no guarantees, just an improvement of the odds. A separated broody can break one of her own eggs.

Growing up on the farm out in the country, we never locked our chickens in at night. They were totally free-range. We'd go years without losing one to a predator. Then, a fox would learn where to get an easy meal. Even with 30 or 40 chickens, you do notice a daily visit from a fox. A .22 is heavy enough to stop a fox. Or the first night we thought the young ducks were old enough to not be locked up at night, a weasel killed them all.

We all have different set-ups, climate, management styles, goals, breeds, etc. Someone who shows birds would take biosecurity differently than someone with a closed flock. Someone raising chicks in their spare bathroom will have different requirements than someone letting a broody hen raise the chicks with the flock. Some things do not apply to you due to your differences.

I don't know the weather in Adelaide when the chicks were a few weeks old or what the conditions were as far as where they spent the night or were raised in general. Obviously, their basic needs were met since they survived. And you had luck. A rain shower at the wrong time could have killed them both.

And some information just might be wrong or taken out of context. I've heard to not give chickens grass clippings that have just been sprayed with a herbicide. And I've heard to not pile up the grass clippings so deep that they become a soggy, moldy, dangerous mess, but I've never heard to not let your chickens eat grass.

Anyway, my thoughts.

depending on where you live you may not have to look before crossing the street, but its still not a bad idea.
hmm.png

I have heard about the grass issue but it is not that you stop them eating grass, jus that you allow them to pick it themselves.

Last week someone lost a hen who had an impacted crop due to long strands of grass, but if they pick themselves they will go for manageable lengths and get it right.

I agree we just do what we can to keep them safe and well.

I would not count them too soon, if something does go wrong and you know it is something you could guard against you will be really kicking yourself.

Luck is very transient and can move house really quickly.

We had one chick die in the waterer last year and I ran for the rocks and havn't had one die since. I have watched our babies and they will just stop drop and sleep where ever they are. I'm thinking that is what happened to our little one. I wouldnt' chance it. It's like putting plugs in electric outlets for 2 year olds. Safety.

My only other thought on the lights is that our chicks will pile up on each other to get warm if we take them away from the lights. We do get day olds and not two week olds and right now it's 30 some degrees here in April. Maybe you live somewhere warmer? Maybe two weekers are able to be warm in your climate?

Do what works for you. Change it if it's not. I can't wait until we get a little warmer and can take our babies out on the grass. Our babies have always loved to pick around.

Brand new to chick rearing so was interested to read this. We're keeping our two girls indoors at the moment but I think once day time temperatres are reliably over 15C they might as well be outside during the day. I'm not keeping them warmer than that and they seem to be thriving. I'd appreciate any advice on when to introduce corn, grit, treats etc. Also the dog seems very interested in them - do I need to keep them seperate on a permanent basis or will they get big enough to stand up to her (minature poodle).
Thanks

I think like in anything there is always a differing opinion on how to do things. Look at parenting. I think trial and error with chicks teaches you a lot. Last year I was overly protective of the chicks: monitored temp, treats, you name it I was by the book. This year I've done some things differently. I took my 4 weekers out of the brooder and into a warm room, instead of having them under a light. They're fine. I've been a little more protective with the group in the brooder since I have 2 silkies in there. I did do marbles in the water, but last year I didn't and everyone was fine. I think a lot of chick raising is luck. I also think the area you live in plays a large role in raising them too. Good luck with your babies, and enjoy!!

Interesting thought everyone.

I really want chicks again. Now that Feathers and Eggie are all grown up it's getting kind of boring.

In response to the poodle thing, there is a HUGE black and white cat that gets into our garden everyday. Not sure if it's wild or a neighbours. Anyway, we think it's trying to catch little birds or something.

But our chicken cluck at it and with a great yowl it leaps over the fence. What a wuss.

Back
Top Bottom