I know that. You are just telling me stuff that I already know. Which is more annoying than helpful to be honest. It's also little condescending that you are assuming I haven't learned all the facts before pursuing an idea.

Do you have an idea on how to dampen the sound. Obviously there will be some sound. Do you have any ideas on like how to make him a coop and run that I can dampen the sound around? Like any pictures or any ideas of how it could work?
Going off on folks trying to give you helpful suggestions is one way of assuring you won’t get any more suggestions.

I know that. You are just telling me stuff that I already know. Which is more annoying than helpful to be honest. It's also little condescending that you are assuming I haven't learned all the facts before pursuing an idea.

Do you have an idea on how to dampen the sound. Obviously there will be some sound. Do you have any ideas on like how to make him a coop and run that I can dampen the sound around? Like any pictures or any ideas of how it could work?
I certainly don't have any suggestions that may help you now that you said that.

*** Important Edit: I am looking for solutions not a 101 lesson on chicken keeping (which I have been doing successfully for 5 years). I am also not looking for Goody-two-shoes whining at me for not following the local zoning rules. If you comment without helpful solutions; expect me to be snarky***

Hello,

I have been raising baby chicks to healthy hens for about 4-5 years. I would like a rooster for self sufficiency. To be fully transparent I can't have a rooster where I am. However, I do not trust that the next year or two is going to be positive (as far as food security, inflation, politics, etc). I know that that is not a positive thing to say or think. I wish I did not feel that way but here I am *shrugs*. I rather have things I might need then wait until poop has hit the fan (I am sure that many people share this mentality).

With that being said I am here for smart ideas about how to keep a Rooster or two for emergency purposes.

I would not be able to keep them outside with my ladies because they would be kept on the down low. Unless there was some way I could dampen their crow and keep them outside. This option would be too tricky I think.I have plans to ensure the roosters get outside time (walks sorta like a dog).

I have a garage that is large and that can be sound proofed. I can do supplemental lighting and give the rooster(s) space. Give them all that they would need to be healthy (walks outside like a dog) and any other thing they would need.

My question is when I want to breed them would I just bring one hen in at a time or a few hens at a time (I have 16)? Would they breed from first meeting or would it turn into a big fight? Would it be better to let them see eachother (from different cages) for like a week, then breed them? 🤔

So if other rebellious people with secret roosters could give me ideas I would appreciate that very much. Thank you!
The "plan" you're outlining isn't going to work. Hens will not accept a strange rooster, and roosters usually avoid strange hens. They'll never integrate keeping them separated most of the time. If the rooster is aggressive enough he might be able to force himself on a lone hen, but if she doesn't get up and attack him right after she'll simply expel the unwanted sperm. I've seen hens do both.

If you try to force them together as a group of hens and he's too pushy they'll gang up on him and kill him. I've seen that, too.

And remember, your rooster is going to be rather tetchy being kept in solitary most of the time. He's likely to act poorly.

You didn't really give any details about how your property is situated, your neighbors, or how vigorous code enforcement is so my advice is going to be equally vague.

1) If you are in a densely populated area, frequently have passers-by or nosy neighbors, and local code enforcement is either vigorous or you've already had run-ins with them DON'T DO IT. You will get caught, probably sooner rather than later. If the local rules are harsh enough or they're simply mean-spirited (and petty code enforcers often are) you could lose a lot more than rooster.

2) If you're in a more rural setting, have a good relationship with your neighbors who are into homesteading as well (or they're also doing things on the down-low and don't want authority figures around), and local enforcement is lax then simply have a rooster. You probably aren't very likely to get caught and if the penalties are minor they're probably worth it.

3) More likely, the situation is something in between. In which case the least-risk scenario I can think of is set up a "breeder flock" in your converted garage and have your main flock outside. That way anyone keeping tabs on you is less likely to notice the change.

4) Look up any sort of loophole in the rules: animal rescues, emotional support animals, agricultural zoning, etc. Print them up so you have them ready at need. Most code enforcers tend to be poorly informed and worse paid. Sometimes you can talk your way out of a situation. Hell, you might actually find something valid and not have to worry about it.

5) Keep in mind that #'s 1 through 5 on this list should not be construed as in any way actually advocating violating local rules, ordinances, or laws. I am speaking hypothetically to your hypothetical questions on a publicly accessible forum.

Going off on folks trying to give you helpful suggestions is one way of assuring you won’t get any more suggestions.
Notice that I have not responded negatively to anyone that provided a idea for a solution. I liked the posts from people giving me ideas and responded positively to many of them.

I will keep in mind though that if I ask a question or make a post people will offer a response or opinion.

I would like to point out that this goes two ways. If people get responses that are not solution based, make them feel talked down to, or are unrealted to the original post people will often stop asking questions/participating in the community. I haven't used BYC in five years (thought I would give it a shot now); I had an old account long ago.

I certainly don't have any suggestions that may help you now that you said that.
Sorry if I was rude I have ADHD and Autism. When I ask a direct question it is hard for me to process anything that my brain percives as unneeded information. It is hard for me to ask questions in the first place. I rather die than ask for help if I can figure something out independently. It is the way I have always been. So when I ask a question it means I need help and anything that appeares the opposite of helpful is frustrating for me. So sorry everyone I am working on myself and behaviors like this I don't always catch myself.

Sorry if I was rude I have ADHD and Autism. When I ask a direct question it is hard for me to process anything that my brain percives as unneeded information. It is hard for me to ask questions in the first place. I rather die than ask for help if I can figure something out independently. It is the way I have always been. So when I ask a question it means I need help and anything that appeares the opposite of helpful is frustrating for me. So sorry everyone I am working on myself and behaviors like this I don't always catch myself.
Thank you for the clarification.

A young white chicken that fell off of a chicken truck when I was a kid, lived in our garage...til he crowed. We lived in a neighborhood with homes pretty close, so no getting away with that. I wanted to soundproof the garage, but chickens really need the benefit of fresh air, sunshine, diggin & scratchin in the soil to dustbathe & find bugs to nibble, and just be happier. So young Mr. Fuffernutter went to live at a farm. I knew I wanted chickens in my life, I planned my future move to an area where it was zoned so that I could. Took a few decades, but I made it happen.

As far as no crow collars...let me tell ya about my Roosters. Yes, that's plural, I have a few lol.
The Roo breeds I have are
Barred Rock - Rocky's Loud!
Buff Orpington - Normal tone
Easter Egger - Higher pitch
RIR - Normal tone
Wyandotte - Deeper tone

You can hear them all crow, but I found out the further away my neighbors live, the less they hear the lower, deeper toned Roo crows.
My Wyandottes are very calm & very big. They seem to crow less often & have a deep mellow crow when they do. Not sure if that goes for all Wyandottes, I only have 3 and they are plump, powerful boys. Their personalities are "the strong, silent type" & when hens act up they just walk over to the rucus raising hens & their mere presence calms everyone down. I guess they don't say much cuz they don't have to.

EVERYONE hears Rocky.
I was fairly new to chickens & he was actually my 1st rooster, so I did receive a no crow collar as a gift. Of course, not wanting to cause Rocky discomfort, I never tightened it any more than being able to get 2 of my fingers in easily. I guess they said 1 finger. Well, whatever, even though he was a brat, I loved him. Wearing the collar, he still crowed loud, only now he was handsome, wearing a suave red bow tie. 😆

I know people that keep a Rooster as a pet, in the house, wearing bird diapers & getting along fine with their other pets, dogs & cats. But the Rooster personality does change, being a house bird. When they brought him over my place for a visit, my hens kicked his butt! I had to rescue him. He ran & cowered under a shrub while my normally sweet hens were pecking, ripping out his tail feathers & jumping up to spar when he tried to run away.

My friends were hoping he'd pick out a girlfriend, but he couldn't run away fast enough. I think keeping a Roo alone tends to make him a wimp. My friends ended up get a week old chick from me later, and raised that sex link hen indoors, too. Raising the chick with the Roo worked, they are now inseparable. My friends actually turned a bedroom into a chicken room for them, an indoor atrium.

Well, I'm just sharing what I've seen happen, & what I've seen work, or not work. As with having any animals with their needs or preferences, it is a labor of love. Just depends how much labor you can afford to set up for their needs & how much you love them to be willing to do it all. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom