I have a garage that is large and that can be sound proofed. I can do supplemental lighting and give the rooster(s) space. Give them all that they would need to be healthy (walks outside like a dog) and any other thing they would need.

My question is when I want to breed them would I just bring one hen in at a time or a few hens at a time (I have 16)? Would they breed from first meeting or would it turn into a big fight? Would it be better to let them see eachother (from different cages) for like a week, then breed them?
It is not good to keep a chicken (male or female) alone.

Maybe you could keep several hens in the garage with the rooster: the hens you most want to breed from. The bigger the pen, the better this will work (overcrowding makes any situation worse.)

If you keep a few hens with the rooster, and he tends to overmate them, you might have to change groups every now and then. This might go smoothly, or it might turn into a big fight of hen vs. rooster. That will depend on the temperament of the individual rooster and the individual hens. You won't know for sure unless you try it.

I have an idea, what if you got a few straight run chicks or just order some males, raise them up, when they are starting to crow and might alert the Karen's, process them and get a few more chicks. You'd never be more than 5 months away from having a male who you could pop in with your hens, and if disaster doesn't strike, you'll be having some fresh home raised meat in the meantime.

Or if you wanted to hatch your own, get a cockerel, breed the hens, set the eggs, eat the cockerel, hatch the chicks, raise them, when the one you pick is old enough, repeat the process. Just always process them before you get busted. You'd have a juvenile trying to crow 2 or 3 times a year, the in between months would be just the hens making noise.
That sounds much easier than trying to keep a mature male all the time. Since most cockerels start crowing before they are old enough to mate, you would still have one crowing some of the time, but at least you will have several months of peace in between times.

Back
Top Bottom